Medications and Diabetes

DSC53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can long term use of prescribed meds affect diabetes? I'm newly diagnosed after being pre diabetic for a long time. New meds for this. I am currently waiting to go for a cardiograph due to high blood pressure. New meds for this. I have recently started having severe muscle spasms and thought it was fibromyalgia getting worse. But research has shown long term use of lanzoprazole can affect magnesium levels with symptoms being muscle spasms. I'm now thinking what long term meds that I am on are affecting my diabetes? Also why am I having to find this out for myself when I'm getting blood tests at the clinic?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can long term use of prescribed meds affect diabetes?

Do you mean meds for other issues & not diabetes ?
Steroids are notorious who raising BG even in non-diabetics.
Statins have been known to increase levels too.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have discovered that my diuretic that I take for high blood pressure has raised my blood sugar levels significantly. I am on another med (Men Only med) that also does that. On the days when I forget to take my morning meds, my bgl is about 3 mmol/l higher(*).

Correction: This (*) should read Lower, not higher.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Virtually all meds have side effects and that applies to most of the drugs used with diabetes. Some of the effects can be serious such as kidney damage. The medical profession often doesn't mention these but the meds leaflets usually do so it's vital to read them and discuss pros and cons with the GP.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.........and if the GP poo-poos the advice on the leaflet (as mine did when I identified five different reasons for one of the meds being unsuitable) believe the leaflet. Drugs companies don't want to be sued, so if they say there is need for caution - there is.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also check the FDA website. The US tends to be more proactive in regards to warnings and advisories, and theit Yellow Card system is more active and has a larger population pool. There are several of my meds that the FDA has info on that NICE currently does not register.

embayweather

Reading the leaflet is good, I have to every time I get a new ned or whenever they change the brand not just to check the side effects but also if it is suitable for vegetarians. However it is important to remember that the leaflet will list any hint of an adverse reaction even if say one in a thousand have experienced it. Your GP will clearly be concerned when their software does not show up the reaction so it is always good to seek further advice should you feel you are having a reaction. Sometimes there are no alternatives so you may then need to make a difficult decision.