meds

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People spitting. People thinking there better than me.
Is the metformin sr a good medication. As it doesnt seem to be working for me. my levels are still over, i still feel tired my ankles are swelling. when i get up in the morning its around 11 or 12 i have had i it at 13.0. Then during the day it just goes up & up.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ask your Dr..my guess is if you are going up during the day, you are either eating too much carbs or you may be late onset T1.

I think if you are T2, diet is 80% ..drugs and exercise 20%

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi
It is just a slow release form of metformin, tolerated better by some people, don't know how long you been on it, but it takes a month or two to work properly. it is the Basic meds that most of us take
Someone I think it was Jack that said that medication is only bout 20% of Diabetes control, the other 80% is Diet and what you eat.
More and more Diabetics are going the Low Carb Diet, as Carbs convert directly to sugar in the system.
Let us know what sort of diet you follow as low carb should help with your BS levels, it works for me ;)

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've started walking now the weather is picking up a little bit. I went for a walk last night up a steep hill them back down. When I got home it shot over 18.
I have noticed I have put a stone on which really isn't good.
I always feel hungry and crave sugar I'm trying not to eat anymore than normal or eat sugary things. :)

K

Kat100

Hello , I think it is possible that anything could be causing your health problems ,,might be worth seeing a GP for further discussion ...
Let us know how you get on ....best wishes ..Kat

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started walking now the weather is picking up a little bit. I went for a walk last night up a steep hill them back down. When I got home it shot over 18.
I have noticed I have put a stone on which really isn't good.
I always feel hungry and crave sugar I'm trying not to eat anymore than normal or eat sugary things. :)
My guess..thats a liver dump, it releases 'sugar' for energy..only your 'system' is out of whack

when I cut carbs I had hell for a week..it is worse than giving up smoking
felt starvation for 2 days..then it goes away
I felt flat as a tack for a week..need extra salt and water
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

how much carb

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

cravings
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin only reduces blood sugar by a bit so diet is the key for T2s. I get the impression you may only be trying to reduce sugar whereas you need to keep all carbs down. Can you let us know your BMI. If you are young and not overweight then late onset T1 becomes a possibility but as you say you have gained weight then T2 is more likely and low-carbing is essential

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that diet is the key to controlling blood sugars if you are a genuine Type 2. Metformin only helps to a limited extent. You can't rely on it to bring your levels down. If you are only avoiding sweet things and not carbs, your levels will go up and up because the carbs turn into sugar once inside your system. If you give us an idea of what you are eating in a typical day we may be able to help.

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree that diet is the key to controlling blood sugars if you are a genuine Type 2. Metformin only helps to a limited extent. You can't rely on it to bring your levels down. If you are only avoiding sweet things and not carbs, your levels will go up and up because the carbs turn into sugar once inside your system. If you give us an idea of what you are eating in a typical day we may be able to help.

I have either cornflakes/toast breakfast.. Dinner sandwich, crispbreads or ryvitas. Then a cooked tea. Sometimes crisps in between meals or biscuits. :)

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just checked my levels they are 20.1. I had a fish cake butty from chippy for my tea. That was 3hrs ago was there too many carbs in that. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A fair few carbs in fishcakes.. And depending upon the type and brand of your bread there could be loads in them too.

I suggest you purchase the carbs&cals book then this will give you a good basis of carb values...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - you're eating a lot of things that are very high in starchy carbs and they are definitely going to cause havoc with your glucose levels.

Cut down on your cereals, bread, potatoes in all forms, and biscuits. Try bacon and eggs for breakfast instead, things like chicken, cooked meat, tinned salmon or sardines, and salad for midday meal; meat, chicken or fish (no batter or breadcrumbs) with green vegetables for evening meal. Eating more fats in the form of butter, olive oil, cream, and nuts (and a bit of 75% or higher dark chocolate) will help you feel more full, and will greatly help reduce those high readings.

Metformin is a good drug and can help, but it's not a cure or miracle worker - that part you have to learn to work on yourself! :p

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have either cornflakes/toast breakfast.. Dinner sandwich, crispbreads or ryvitas. Then a cooked tea. Sometimes crisps in between meals or biscuits. :)

Just checked my levels they are 20.1. I had a fish cake butty from chippy for my tea. That was 3hrs ago was there too many carbs in that. :)

Hi Sam,

Most of the things you are eating are unsuitable for diabetics and are the reason your levels are so high. If you want to get your levels down and feel better in yourself, you need to have a good re-think.

Cereals of any sort, bread, crisps, biscuits, fish cakes, butty from chip shop - there are more carbs in those things than most of us eat in a week I'm afraid. As mentioned above, you could buy the book Carbs & Cals from Amazon. It isn't expensive and will help you enormously.

Do you test before and after eating? Try testing immediately before you eat then again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the rise in levels. If it is more than 2mmol/l there were too many carbs in that meal, so you need to tweak that meal by cutting the carb portions right down and replace with extra vegetables or salads.

I know this may sound harsh, but if you don't help yourself with your diet you will end up on more and more medication and make yourself poorly. None of us wants to see that. We really do want to help you. xx

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't been told by the doctors or my diabetic nurse what to eat and what not to eat.
They have told me I can eat as normal and drink as normal just cut down the sugar in my tea. I used to have 2 sugars now I have 1. I'm trying to cut it down to none. I've tried the sweetners but they make my tea taste funny. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been told by the doctors or my diabetic nurse what to eat and what not to eat.
They have told me I can eat as normal and drink as normal just cut down the sugar in my tea. I used to have 2 sugars now I have 1. I'm trying to cut it down to none. I've tried the sweetners but they make my tea taste funny. :)

It's a good job you have found this forum. The NHS is really bad with dietary advice for Type 2's. Have a read of this thread. It will help you. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

All carbs turn to sugar once in the system, so all carbs need reducing in quantity and portion size, or avoiding completely, not just sugar.

Try a full fat yogurt for breakfast with a few berries added for sweetness, and have a coffee with double cream in rather than milk. (Milk and fruit are other foods we need to be careful with as they are also full of sugar). A fry up is good - bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and a 97% meat sausage. Any meat or fish with green vegetables or salad for lunch and tea. Omelettes and scrambled eggs are all good choices, with cheese or mushrooms. For snacks cut out the crisps and eat a FEW nuts or a piece of cheese.

Samm38

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've started eating salted peanuts when I get peckish.
I was eating raisins but noticed they were bumping up my levels so knocked them off. :) x

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've started eating salted peanuts when I get peckish.
I was eating raisins but noticed they were bumping up my levels so knocked them off. :) x

Good decision. Raisins and other dried fruit are bad choices. Don't eat too many nuts though .. just a few.