Medtronic 640g - Tips and Tricks

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All, my daughter has an appointment next Friday for a Saline trial of Medtronic 640g (I'm unsure if this also includes the Enlite Sensor as well).

Anyways, she is an active 6 year old so was just wondering what sort of tips people have with this pump? I'm looking for experience of playing sports with it on, swimming, general day to day tips on how best to attach it to the body and any comfortable belts/pouches that people use. How do you guys sleep with the pump attached?

Am sure the DSN and the Pump Rep will go through most of the above but you guys have real life experience which I would love to hear about.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @T1Dad I've had my 640g a year now and can quite honestly say it's been great. It's not standard for the NHS to fund the enlite sensor as well. I use the Bayer Contour next link meter with the pump and it pings my BG reading direct into the pump. It takes a while to get the ratios aligned and of course they change over time but I work with my DSN to adjust and view as I can download the results direct into Carelink which my DSN can then view. I wear mine in a pump belt which sits around my waist, which is good for sport and sleeping, and you unclip the pump for swimming or showering. It's quite comfy to wear and doesn't get in the way, I do have the shortest cannula set available as the sets given to me when I started were way too long and got in the way a lot.

Look up YouTube vids on the pump too, some pumpers like to show cannula set changes and their use of the pump which are useful, however the rep and your DSN will be pretty thorough in going through all this with you, good luck, hope it goes well and let us know how you get on :)

Reactions: T1Dad

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you @Juicyj. I like the idea of a short cannula. Looking around at the moment for a pump belt but can't seem to find one with a waist size below 22 inches. Hers is 20 inches. Will keep looking.

Bit nervous about it all to be honest but we'll get there. Thanks for the support.

Reactions: Snapsy

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Awesome!!! The kids ones look fantastic. Thanks. I'll look at these again if we decide to go ahead with the pump for real. For the trial I have just ordered the below...

upload_2017-2-26_23-29-54.png

Reactions: paulpapa and Snapsy