Medtronic 670G

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just found out that the 670G has been launched in the UK and I should get it in April next year, when the warranty for my 640G runs out.

I'm delighted, as my consultant has told me it would be the perfect pump for me!

Reactions: Juicyj

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Congrats! Can you tell us why you are going to 'grade up' to the M 670G ?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @kitedoc . My blood sugars seem to do their own thing, no matter what I do. The 640G has helped by cutting off insulin when I'm going low but the 670G will also be able to give correction doses when I go high. I daresay it will take a lot of work but I'm looking forward to it.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was looking into insulin pumps and the Medtronic 670G (I am currently injecting and have been for 17 years), however I was a bit confused. It says that it can maintain basal rates and dose for bolus. However it only has one reservoir for insulin, how does this work? does it use bolus in a constant fashion to maintain basal rates? Do you still have to inject with the pump? Thanks in advance.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was looking into insulin pumps and the Medtronic 670G (I am currently injecting and have been for 17 years), however I was a bit confused. It says that it can maintain basal rates and dose for bolus. However it only has one reservoir for insulin, how does this work? does it use bolus in a constant fashion to maintain basal rates? Do you still have to inject with the pump? Thanks in advance.
Only quick acting insulin is used in the pump. You can program in as many different basal rates as you need. Tiny amounts of insulin are pumped every few minutes, for our background insulin. If basal changes are required, I change the rate 2 hours before the consistent rise/fall in blood sugar.

The only time I need to inject is if something has gone wrong and I have high blood sugars with ketones. I can't remember the last time I had to do this.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only quick acting insulin is used in the pump. You can program in as many different basal rates as you need. Tiny amounts of insulin are pumped every few minutes, for our background insulin. If basal changes are required, I change the rate 2 hours before the consistent rise/fall in blood sugar.

The only time I need to inject is if something has gone wrong and I have high blood sugars with ketones. I can't remember the last time I had to do this.
Thanks for the info, how have you found your injection sites? As I have some lipohypertrophy mainly around my abdomen area from years of injecting out of convenience, is this better with pumps, using a canula for example?

Reactions: kitedoc

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't had any problems with injection sites, so far. I can vary my cannula sites more than I could for injections. (I use my back for a quarter of my sites, whereas I couldn't have injected into my back.)

Reactions: kitedoc and Muneeb

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I haven't had any problems with injection sites, so far. I can vary my cannula sites more than I could for injections. (I use my back for a quarter of my sites, whereas I couldn't have injected into my back.)

Just out of interest what sets are you using and do you ever get discomfort when using your back ? I only use my tum with the sure t and when i tried my thighs or top of bum it was uncomfortable when trying to sleep. Unfortunately I get some issues now with my tum so keen to try other areas.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thanks for the info, how have you found your injection sites? As I have some lipohypertrophy mainly around my abdomen area from years of injecting out of convenience, is this better with pumps, using a canula for example?
To clarify @Muneeb, the needle/cannula stay in place for about 3 days at a time whilst the pump is doing its thing, so injections ('skin breaches) are much reduced compared to multiple daily injection mode. Of course the sites are rotated to prevent lipodystrophy and to reduce the risk of poor absorption.
The times when I have needed to inject separately or have more insulin by using a new needle/cannula to give a larger bolus is where I suspect that the cannula under the skin has become bent and is not delivering the correct dose of insulin, leading to high BSLs and sometimes ketones forming. With multiple daily injections of insulin the reservoir of insulin is under the skin where the long acting insulin is being gradually absorbed into the blood stream. With insulin pumps the reservoir is in the pump with only a modicum of insulin under the skin so that diminution or interruption of supply of short acting insulin leaves the person with little or no insulin fairly quickly (? 4 to 6 hours) compared to someone who had had a shot of long acting insulin within the last 12 to 24 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muneeb

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Juicyj I use the Mio. I occasionally get a little discomfort (more so when using 9mm cannulas) but generally I find using my back is fine, though I do have to make sure I use what I call my lumps of fat, rather than closer to the spine. I can go right round to the side of my back, which is more or less my side. I can't go as far to the side on my front as that always hurts.
I used to be able to use the top of my bum but that's started hurting, so now I go further down (but not the part I sit on.)

@tim2000s I am lucky enough to get the cgm on the NHS.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s I am lucky enough to get the cgm on the NHS.
I think you'll be tremendously happy with the results. The first month or so will be tough as it learns about you, and as long as you're not trying to target an Hba1C of 5%, it will make life easier. The most important thing is that you have to let go of what you know about pumping and the rules you have in place and let it do its stuff. Feedback from Medtronic is that those who are most successful with it are those who are more relaxed about how it goes about its job.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you'll be tremendously happy with the results. The first month or so will be tough as it learns about you, and as long as you're not trying to target an Hba1C of 5%, it will make life easier. The most important thing is that you have to let go of what you know about pumping and the rules you have in place and let it do its stuff. Feedback from Medtronic is that those who are most successful with it are those who are more relaxed about how it goes about its job.
Thanks @tim2000s, that's good to know. HbA1c of 5%?:D I am happy to have been able to maintain one around 7.5% but I'd love to get a lower one without all the hypos. Hopefully that will happen with the 670G. I must admit, I will be a bit nervous, putting my trust in new diabetes technology.

Reactions: Muneeb