Medtronic pump,and skiing

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone on a Medtronic pump and had trouble with altitude. Readings are going through the roof for my Son who is skiing at the moment and can’t get control of his blood sugars. Any suggestions please how to combat this. TIA

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @stoney
I'm not a pump person, but I'll still try to make some possibly helpful comments/questions.

I guess the most obvious question is whether he has some spare insulin pens/syrunges and/or insulin. I can think of several possibilities for issues
1) pump somhoe failing because of conditions
2) insulin in pump has got damaged (too cold??)
3) His levels are going through the roof because he is ill?

I'm sure there are more possibilities.

Hopefully some pump experts will be along soon. Good luck.

(Edited to remove question answered in Stoney's signature).

Last edited:
Reactions: stoney

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @stoney

What sort of readings is he getting ?

I have skied a number of times with the Medtronic and no issues with altitude, however there are other factors which affect control when skiing, different foods, exercise, change in temperature, stress etc etc. Personally I prefer to ski with higher levels so I have a good buffer to avoid hypos, which are difficult to treat when out and exposed up a mountain, I tend to put my t1 to one side for this reason so I can eat what I prefer and always anticipate levels will be shocking for the week, my priority is to enjoy my skiing without hypos so happy to make this decision and get back on track when home.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
He has gone up to 21, treating it and crashing down.

What time of day is this, has he eaten when he's getting this reading and is he exercising after correcting ?

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
It was after breakfast on his first day of skiing it could have been stress as it’s his first time skiing. He was 14 when he got up but was low during the night. Should he change his basal rate down by 50% and maybe adjust his carb ratios. He is also a coeliac. Any suggestions

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It was after breakfast on his first day of skiing it could have been stress as it’s his first time skiing. He was 14 when he got up but was low during the night. Should he change his basal rate down by 50% and maybe adjust his carb ratios. He is also a coeliac. Any suggestions

I wouldn't dive in on one day's readings, multiple days yes, but one on a holiday could be many reasons, yes it could be stress caused by excitement and nerves, it's perfectly normal on a ski holiday particularly as he hasn't skied before, what did he eat ?

Please don't change a thing though off the back of this, it could be completely different tomorrow, personally for a ski holiday and for a first time, I would just do a half correction of what i'd do normally and go very carefully because as soon as your out there burning glucose on the slopes it will disappear very quickly and best to avoid hypos at all costs.

Reactions: EllieM

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Juicyj . I just spoke to him and his readings have been not too bad today and has been more confident on the slopes so fingers crossed it was just a blip . Thank you very much for your replies they were much appreciated.