Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi all - they're still at it!
This morning I got the monthly update from the NHS.
In it was an article on healthy eating, so I clicked on the link.
Guess what - it's the Eat Well dogma, including
  1. Base your meals on starchy carbohydrates
  2. Eat lots of fruit and veg
  3. Eat more fish – including a portion of oily fish
  4. Cut down on saturated fat and sugar
  5. Eat less salt
  6. Get active and be a healthy weight
  7. Don't get thirsty
  8. Don't skip breakfast
Well, it's not all bad advice, only about 80%.

There's three minutes you'll never get back. Someone has to explain what a 'healthy weight' is. A healthy weight for me, personally, may be quite different to that of someone who is the same age, same gender, same height etc etc. And I have made myself (forced myself!) to eat salmon twice this year, is that enough?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
2,500 calories? In my dreams. Well, not really, I don't dream of eating large quantities of food. It's a shame that the NHS publish things like this without adding the proviso that it's really only any good if you don't have type II diabetes. Even then I would still question the wisdom of recommending 1/3 of your calories as carbohydrate, that's 833 calories for a man, 666 calories for a woman. I suppose if you were trying to reduce calories, that's the easiest step to take, just cut out the carbs.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
  5. Eat less salt
  7. Don't get thirsty
  8. Don't skip breakfast
@BrianTheElder is there an emoji for shaking head in despair?

Reactions: kitedoc

BloodThirsty

Gradually, the medical fraternity will realize that its own erroneous advice is exacerbating the diabetes epidemic.
Then, to cover its proverbials against being sued en masse, we will see a complete turnaround, headed up with the slogan "Carbohydrates can damage your health".

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And the next review (when nothing will probably change) isn't until 16 March 2019.
Sad state of affairs...

Edit to add it looks like I have been under eating calories to the tune of 250 is per day for the past 18 months I should have lost a couple of stone...unfortunately almost exactly the same weight...to the pound!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Maybe somebody forgot to change the tape/record/CD/computer program or this was a historical, back in time program.
Why not ask Dr Unwin to do an "Eat Better" program to replace it?? I was going to say "What To Eat" program but it sounds too much like "wheat" and WOE sounds too off-putting also !!

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a big ship, and it will take a long time to turn around, especially against the tidal pull of Big Food and Big Pharma...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When I was told my diagnosis by the DN she then proceeded to give me dietary 'advice'. She remarked that some of her patients would have bread and butter with their fish and chips (and this said in a tone of voice that suggested that these patients were mudering small children). My reaction was to blurt out that perhaps chips weren't the best idea.... That got no response whatsoever.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
When I was told my diagnosis by the DN she then proceeded to give me dietary 'advice'. She remarked that some of her patients would have bread and butter with their fish and chips (and this said in a tone of voice that suggested that these patients were mudering small children). My reaction was to blurt out that perhaps chips weren't the best idea.... That got no response whatsoever.
Well, you were not fishing for compliments so, fish with butter, was not her preferred answer. Dietary advice is something one can leave on the plate when it is unsuitable !!

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, you were not fishing for compliments so, fish with butter, was not her preferred answer. Dietary advice is something one can leave on the plate when it is unsuitable !!

Well said. But if one is a DN giving dietary advice to a person who may not be metabolising carbs well then suggesting that bread and butter is a sole culprit is a bit rubbish. Mind you, earlier in the conversation I had said with not a little vehemence "I'm not eating rabbit food and I'm not sticking pins in myself all day long!".
I suppose I was at least 50% in the right!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
  5. Eat less salt
  7. Don't get thirsty
  8. Don't skip breakfast
Interesting. I went to the UK Health Show this week and various NHS Digital presentations and a couple of PHE ones. NHS Digital said the whole NHS website had been re-structured to make it easier to use (www.nhs.uk) so I tried it by looking at the Diabetes info. It said it was last updated in 2016. It was the rubbish shown by the OP. I sent a contact message to the website complaining. I was given a 'ticket' number and an email has asked for the actual webpage link which I've provided. I await some feedback next week. I think I know what it will say (e.g. PHE base their content on research data). I did pre-empt this by saying the PHE research content was based on food-industry funded University research but I expect that to be ignored. I can only suggest everyone who agrees the info is wrong and in fact dangerous also feeds back to the NHS or PHE

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  5. Eat less salt
  7. Don't get thirsty
  8. Don't skip breakfast

We have to realize that the insulin lowering, carbs lite fats friendly diet that we see so much success isn't really a fad diet that has just appeared over the last couple of years. It really doesn't require a Nobel prize winner and 100 years of insulin discovery for them to figure it out when most of us figured it out after a couple of google searches...but it did required a big leap of faith to go against decades of misinformation.

NHS and the entire medical community are well aware of them and most has simply chosen to cast it all away in support of the key stakeholders that provides medical schools with funding and revenue...we would be naive to think that they will be ready to embrace truly effective dietary intervention.

Their preferred narrative is that there is no one size fit all, T2D and Obesity are complex conditions....that's simply an escape clause.

The only way is to make them irrelevant...as patients achieve and maintain remission without their help...

togram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@BrianTheElder is there an emoji for shaking head in despair?
Hi, I'm not usually shy but I've been reading forums for some time; possibly stalking!

My practice nurse was happy to tell me my weight was down 18 kg & cholesterol results were good. I upset them by telling that was really good because I was on lchf & stopped taking statins 6 months ago.

Fast forward a year.. sadly I developed cellulitis then lymphodeama and was massively swollen, couldn't lift my legs and couldn't get into bed. I was denied lymphodeama clinic appointment due to massive BMI & I didn't have cancer! I began falling asleep walking and was hallucinating.

Eventually I hurt myself falling and my oxygen levels were extremely low. I was whizzed to HDU and placed on non invasive ventilator.
4 months on I have lost 42 kg against nurses advice. I stay awake all day and no longer hallucinate.
My diagnosis is secondary respiratory failure. I had eaten myself to near death!
I am on oxygen 24/7 & use BIPAP overnight.

I still have a lot of weight to lose & am starting monitoring blood on Monday.
Previously I had so many medical problems I couldnt motivate myself wholeheartedly to any structured way of living. I've tackled things one at a time.

Seeing the postings about NHS churning out their outdated advice made me post as I am now literally LIVING proof that lchf really does work.
I think I may now stop stalking and take part.
Thanks for the posts which have helped enormously. xx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi, I'm not usually shy but I've been reading forums for some time; possibly stalking!

My practice nurse was happy to tell me my weight was down 18 kg & cholesterol results were good. I upset them by telling that was really good because I was on lchf & stopped taking statins 6 months ago.

Fast forward a year.. sadly I developed cellulitis then lymphodeama and was massively swollen, couldn't lift my legs and couldn't get into bed. I was denied lymphodeama clinic appointment due to massive BMI & I didn't have cancer! I began falling asleep walking and was hallucinating.

Eventually I hurt myself falling and my oxygen levels were extremely low. I was whizzed to HDU and placed on non invasive ventilator.
4 months on I have lost 42 kg against nurses advice. I stay awake all day and no longer hallucinate.
My diagnosis is secondary respiratory failure. I had eaten myself to near death!
I am on oxygen 24/7 & use BIPAP overnight.

I still have a lot of weight to lose & am starting monitoring blood on Monday.
Previously I had so many medical problems I couldnt motivate myself wholeheartedly to any structured way of living. I've tackled things one at a time.

Seeing the postings about NHS churning out their outdated advice made me post as I am now literally LIVING proof that lchf really does work.
I think I may now stop stalking and take part.
Thanks for the posts which have helped enormously. xx

Wow! Well done, what a come back!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Well said. But if one is a DN giving dietary advice to a person who may not be metabolising carbs well then suggesting that bread and butter is a sole culprit is a bit rubbish. Mind you, earlier in the conversation I had said with not a little vehemence "I'm not eating rabbit food and I'm not sticking pins in myself all day long!".
I suppose I was at least 50% in the right!
Yes, and this being treated like a child who is told what to eat is so old school and pedagogic.
Everything, and carbs, in moderation would be a softer and better admonition if one were needed.
And the finger prick 'torture' at least has a purpose. Hopefully technology will soon have an inexpensive finger-prickless solution although technology and inexpensive are not always congruous terms!!.
But I lament the times before diabetes when I loved bread and butter pudding!!

Reactions: ziggy_w and Guzzler

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes, and this being treated like a child who is told what to eat is so old school and pedagogic.
Everything, and carbs, in moderation would be a softer and better admonition if one were needed.
And the finger prick 'torture' at least has a purpose. Hopefully technology will soon have an inexpensive finger-prickless solution although technology and inexpensive are not always congruous terms!!.
But I lament the times before diabetes when I loved bread and butter pudding!!

Now you had to go and mention bread and butter pudding.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Now you had to go and mention bread and butter pudding.
Deepest and humblest apologies for any offence, distress or frustration at my mention of the dish.
Oh, and I forgot the dates and raisins.