Metabolisation rates

phil2440

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BMWs
My post breakfast reading this morning was 10.6, which was a bit of a surprise :shock: . Breakfast was a small slice of wholemeal toast with a couple of poached eggs. I would usually expect a reading of under 7 after that. I've had a sedantry morning in front of the PC so was surprised a couple of hours later with a reading of 5.9. Is there a standard guide to bs absorption rates? A drop of 5 in a that period seems a tad excessive. Had that happened after my normal morning sub 6 reading I'd be unconscious :?

Grazer

Point is Phil, if it was sub 6, it wouldn't have dropped 5 points. Our body after 2 hours drops (or tries to) to our normal working level. Insulin is released until that is achieved, it doesn't then just go on. So, if you were about 6, it would STILL come down (hopefully!) to about the 5.9 mark, or if it was already there then stay there. I suppose the good news is that you're still producing enough insulin to bring 10.6 down to 5.9 in 2 hours. Why it went to 10.6 in the first place I don't know, although we don't usually bother testing until 2 hours so don't know much of the time! Wholemeal toast is of course quite carby - wholegrain is better. And it could have been a duff reading! Not washed hands well or something.

phil2440

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BMWs
Grazer said:
.......I suppose the good news is that you're still producing enough insulin to bring 10.6 down to 5.9 in 2 hours....
Ahhhh :idea: Keep forgetting that the autonomic processes will keep trying to work :!: I'd guess that the Hovis Granary is not as "healthy" as they advertise :lol: don't usually buy it, but it's all that was available yesterday

Grazer

Have you tried the Burgen soya and linseed from tesco's/sainsbury's? Most of us find we get much lower increases in BG with that. Don't mistake it for another Burgen which is some other concoction - you need the soya and linseed one.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The burgen soya and linseed is only £1 at Iceland I find it the best for me
CAROL

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Phil, wholemeal bread is high GI so hits your bg levels fast and hard but your levels drop afterwards just as fast. Wholemeal bread is no better than white bread and is one of the very few food stuffs I never eat along with pasta :)

Wholegrain or multigrain bread is much lower GI and so takes longer to digest and trickle through to your intestines where the glucose converted from the carbs enters your blood stream, this in effect means that the spike is lower but may last a little longer.

If you find you cant manage wholegrain/multigrain breads either Burgen bread is worth a try as many diabetics find they can eat a slice or two without any major rise in bg levels, most supermarkets sell Burgen bread nowadays...

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sid Bonkers said:
most supermarkets sell Burgen bread nowadays

My local Asda didn't sell Burgen. I had to shop elsewhere for my bread. So I e-mailed them to ask if they could consider stocking it.

Result-when I did my shopping last week the burgen bread was there on the shelf at last. :D :D