Metaformin reaction

Highlandbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been type 2 for a good while but was put on metaformin all good for a while but now when I take it within 30 mi s I am really light headed and get really tired But why ?????

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are taking it with food as advised, what are you eating with it? Doreenann wonders if it’s low blood sugars, this is very rare on Metformin. I’m actually wondering if your blood sugar is too high if you’ve eaten too many carbs. Tiredness is a symptom of high blood sugar.
The only way to know for sure is to test when you have these feelings.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know how long you have been a type 2? But I was misdiagnosed for years as a type 2 but was really a type 1/LADA.

At first I could take metformin and a bunch of type 1's do take metformin just fine. But it started making me sick after about a year of taking it. I think it was because I wasn't on any insulin yet that I needed and it probably played havoc with my system. (before proper diagnosis)

MEValentijn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Metformin can cause lactic acidosis symptoms in people who are susceptible. And the mitochondrial dysfunction which can cause susceptibility to lactic acidosis can also cause diabetes, though it's very rare compared to Type 1 and Type 2. If metformin's making you feel bad, talk to your doctor and check the list of lactic acidosis symptoms it can cause to make sure you aren't having other, more specific symptoms. It can be deadly, so don't try to push through it.