Metformin & Acohol

hovis

I have been trying to find some information regarding the consumption of alcohol while on Metformin, is it true that NO alcohol is allowed? i have been on several websites and all say the same except 1, it says there is no proof that taking alcohol with Metformin will give you LACTIC ACIDOSIS.

Many Thanks
Hovis

Private message

999sugarbabe

I can only speak for myself, but when I was first dianosed I stopped drinking altogether (due to all the new medications I was suddenly put on for Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol etc). :cry: :cry: :cry:

After a few weeks I thought "I'll give it a go (drinking) and see what happens". :wink:

I only drink occasionally now, and in moderation, but find (for me) there don't appear to be any problems evident. :) :lol: :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I rarely drink, but when I do, it doesn't eem to have any affect on BG.
Had a glass of Czech"Champagne" last weekend Delicious.
There really isn't anything like that Bohemia Sekt. 8)

Trinkwasser

The predecessor to metformin had a tendency to cause this, metformin generally doesn't: this may be why the rather paranoid restriction remains.

Moderate alcohol consumption doesn't seem to cause any problems. It's possible than overdoing it might cause problems as both drugs tend to shut down glucose release in the liver and have the potential for generating a hypo but even that seems rare.