1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin advice

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by chrestomanci, Jun 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chrestomanci

chrestomanci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, I'm T2 newly diagnosed, struggling to tolerate metformin 500mg. The usual gastrointestinal distress.I really want to persevere with it as am told symptoms pass eventually.I was wondering if anyone knows the mechanism of how metformin works, I'm told it makes one's cells more insulin sensitive and reduces blood glucose, but how does it do that? My reason for asking is that if I could picture what it's doing that would encourage me and motivate me to persist with it :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

The exact mechanism for how metformin works is, so far as I know, still shrouded in mystery.
    My view was that diet has a far larger impact so I adopted a vigorous dietary regime and stopped taking the pills that were making me so ill I could hardly leave the house.
    I took them for 3 weeks only.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I have no idea how it works, and as @bulkbiker said, it is a mystery even to the experts.
    It can help with insulin resistance, and also reduces the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally, but all to a limited extent. It really doesn't help blood sugars very much, and does nothing directly to control blood glucose spikes after eating. It is intended to be taken alongside a suitable diet.

4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I had gastric upset for about a week to ten days but then no side effects. If you don’t tolerate it after a while you could ask your GP for the slow release version which is often tolerated better if you want to continue taking it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. chrestomanci

Love that phrase 'shrouded in mystery' thank you that's interesting. Am gonna keep trying with them, also doing my best with the low carb eating.

6. chrestomanci

Thanks so much Bluetit!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. chrestomanci

Cheers Rachox, I will persevere as I know you've had good results with it, I'm willing to try anything! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My blood sugars were higher when I took Metformin, I think it was the stress caused by always having to be within sprinting distance of a toilet.
    I suffered it for around 3 months before deciding there had to be a better way of controlling sugar levels. Then I found diabetes.co.uk and discovered l.c.h.f

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. chrestomanci

Wow that's interesting, thank you x

10. GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses · Well-Known Member

Hi, I’m newly diagnosed and on Metformin day 2! Yes feel slight nausea and wondering if it gets worse?

11. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

In my experience it got better after the first week or two, but unfortunately some people have to come off it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Over a month of utter misery - I threw the tablets in the bin - I never needed them in the first place.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses · Well-Known Member

Really? How did you know you didn’t need them?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook