Metformin and (false?) hypos

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Yes - sorry, OP, for hijacking your post! Meant in fun.

It was the 'fearsome reputation' bit I had in mind - oh respected monitor!

Viv :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a 'Pussycat' really........ :wink:

majicm

angieG said:
Don't know the science behind all this but I am on Metformin and I can easily get levels below 4 if I don't have snacks between meals and have even been down to 2.8 once.....so not false hypos!!
HTH
Angie

You can get hypo's on Metformin. I changed jobs last year, not long after being diagnosed and the job entailed a commute on the train.... It took me a couple of weeks of getting home shattered, shaking and sweating to realise that I needed something to "put me on" till I got home. An oat bar does the job.

I was frequently getting home (before having the bar) and reading 4 and under. Once I went as low as 3.2 - So yes, you can get a real hypo on Metformin.

Sometimes I get fake ones even now, where I feel I like I'm hypo but when I do a check I'm 5 or 6. I'd agree, it's just the body being tricked, and I know not to eat anything to perk up by BG.

(New user btw, hello everyone :))

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
majicm said:
angieG said:
Don't know the science behind all this but I am on Metformin and I can easily get levels below 4 if I don't have snacks between meals and have even been down to 2.8 once.....so not false hypos!!
HTH
Angie

You can get hypo's on Metformin. I changed jobs last year, not long after being diagnosed and the job entailed a commute on the train.... It took me a couple of weeks of getting home shattered, shaking and sweating to realise that I needed something to "put me on" till I got home. An oat bar does the job.

I was frequently getting home (before having the bar) and reading 4 and under. Once I went as low as 3.2 - So yes, you can get a real hypo on Metformin.

Sometimes I get fake ones even now, where I feel I like I'm hypo but when I do a check I'm 5 or 6. I'd agree, it's just the body being tricked, and I know not to eat anything to perk up by BG.

(New user btw, hello everyone :))

Hi and welcome,
I always make sure I have a few biscuits and some of those small individual boxes of raisins in my bag with me when I'm working so I can keep nibbling whilst travelling around for long periods so I don't drop too low between meals. (The raisin boxes are brilliant in your pockets too if you are walking around or shopping etc!!)
Regards
Angie