1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin And Greasy Hair

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by @Apollo88, Aug 13, 2018.

1. @Apollo88

@Apollo88 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi all

I’ve been on slow release for coming up for 3 months and my hair is an oil slick! I’m having to wash everyday day. I have dyed curly hair so not conditioning is not not an option. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the condition of their hair since starting metformin?

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I experienced the opposite with my hair thickening and being much more healthy. I have had the greasy hair problem in the past though and the advice from my hairdresser helped - I would guess that it's washing your hair every day that's probably more the culprit - it over stimulates the oil glands as every time you wash your stripping of oil - a vicious circle.

I know it's hard not to wash it every day - try going a couple of day between and using a dry shampoo, make sure you only condition the very ends of your hair avoiding the first 2 inches from your scalp

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have always had oily hair... I'm stressed all the time and the meds don't help either, which has an impact too. I still have to wash daily, but it doesn't get stringy already halfway through the day anymore since I rinse my hair out with cool water. (Not cold, just cool; not my usual scalding hot). Turns out hot water stimulates the oil glands, cool closed 'em up. Wish I'd known that decades ago!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. rebowe1308

rebowe1308 · Member

Hi
    I was just searching on here to see if anyone else has had greasy hair whilst taking metformin.
    I have also been given the slow release tablets and since I have started to take them my hair is also very very greasy. I have always had dry coarse thick hair which has always needed good conditioning after each wash.
    My friend is a hairdresser and she said it must be my shampoo but it’s the same I’ve used for ages and never had a problem before.
    I was just wondering whether you are still having the same problem as I can see you posted this some time ago ? M
    Thanks ☺️

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook