Metformin And Greasy Hair

@Apollo88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I’ve been on slow release for coming up for 3 months and my hair is an oil slick! I’m having to wash everyday day. I have dyed curly hair so not conditioning is not not an option. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the condition of their hair since starting metformin?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I experienced the opposite with my hair thickening and being much more healthy. I have had the greasy hair problem in the past though and the advice from my hairdresser helped - I would guess that it's washing your hair every day that's probably more the culprit - it over stimulates the oil glands as every time you wash your stripping of oil - a vicious circle.

I know it's hard not to wash it every day - try going a couple of day between and using a dry shampoo, make sure you only condition the very ends of your hair avoiding the first 2 inches from your scalp

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I’ve been on slow release for coming up for 3 months and my hair is an oil slick! I’m having to wash everyday day. I have dyed curly hair so not conditioning is not not an option. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the condition of their hair since starting metformin?
I have always had oily hair... I'm stressed all the time and the meds don't help either, which has an impact too. I still have to wash daily, but it doesn't get stringy already halfway through the day anymore since I rinse my hair out with cool water. (Not cold, just cool; not my usual scalding hot). Turns out hot water stimulates the oil glands, cool closed 'em up. Wish I'd known that decades ago!!!!

Reactions: zand

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Hi
I was just searching on here to see if anyone else has had greasy hair whilst taking metformin.
I have also been given the slow release tablets and since I have started to take them my hair is also very very greasy. I have always had dry coarse thick hair which has always needed good conditioning after each wash.
My friend is a hairdresser and she said it must be my shampoo but it’s the same I’ve used for ages and never had a problem before.
I was just wondering whether you are still having the same problem as I can see you posted this some time ago ? M
Thanks ☺️