Metformin and Hair Loss

AileenF

Hi, Could anyone who is on Metformin tell me if they are suffering hair loss, and did it get worse when your dosage was increased? Are you on any other medications which could cause this?
Thanks for your help. Aileen

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hair was a bit thin, but just over a month of Metformin and I am looking at a 'gloss top' - just hoping that it will grow back now I've stopped taking it.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have thinning hair, particularly on top/front area and I've recently realised I'm now getting noticiably thin on the sides - and I'm female!!! I'm not happy :(

However, I already had thinningg hair long before starting Metformin so I don't feel it's to do with that. I do have underactive thyroid and had assumed that, with replacement thyroid meds, it would improve but that's not been the case.

A GP suggested taking multivitamins with iron, which I have been doing for several years but I still have the problem.

I have recently discovered my Vit B12 is low and Folate high and, on researching this, it seems B12 defiency can cause hair loss - so I'm hoping I get treatment re B12 deficiency (I've just written to my GP, laying out my argument regarding this)

I'm sure there are lots of possible reasons but it seems the GP prefers not to investigate!!!

Sorry not to be more helpful :(

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin is known to cause B12 deficiency, so there might be a link?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My hair was coming out by the handful for a while but I've noticed recently that it's growing back in in my natural colour which is AMAZING as I was going rather grey!

Reactions: Spiderjo

Ploodoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Could anyone who is on Metformin tell me if they are suffering hair loss, and did it get worse when your dosage was increased? Are you on any other medications which could cause this?
Hi Aileen
I was diagnosed with T2 December 2014 and was put on Metformin 3 tablets/day. In the first year my hair got progressively thinner. I didn't associate this to the metformin at the time. My medication was increased to 5 tablets/day approximately 12 months ago and i have lost at the very least half a head of hair in that time. Excessively so on the top at the front, to the state where I am considering a wig. My doctor has carried out blood tests, all of which have not identified why. I am beginning to believe that this is due to the metformin and while I do sympathise with you, I am so glad I am not the only one.
I have no idea if this can be reversed if I stop taking it. I am praying it can, as I feel so conscious of my transparent hair and people are constantly looking at it no matter how hard i try to hide it. I am a woman by the way.
I am seeing my Doctor in a couple of weeks and will ask him to prescribe another medication as I won't be taking metformin again.
Best wishes
Jan

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This is very interesting as metformin for pcos which gives hairy face and body. I noticed my tough hairs became softer and easier to pluck out.
Now I too have underactive thyroid with a brush full of hair a week. I put it down to stress as when I get stressed I get mild alopecia.
Even when not on metformin.
I feel more to do with hormones rather than metformin. But thats just me.

Chloe010393

Thanks for your help. Aileen[/QUOTE I'm type one and I am on insulin and funnily enough my hair has fallen out loads and gone really thin I spoke to my doctor about it an they couldn't figure out why it could be they tested me for thyroid problems and tested my zinc levels all came back fine however I have noticed my hair is growing back slowly

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have you been stressed lately too?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My hair did get a lot thinner after I was diagnosed and I thought it might be the Metformin - but then it started falling out in handfuls (nearly flooded the bathroom when it blocked the shower plughole). Then more or less all of it came out so I went to the doctor who referred me to a trichologist and he said that its due to the body being stressed and something that happens to uncontrolled diabetics for similar reasons to neuropathy - in that the hair follicles aren't getting whatever nutrient it is that they need because its being blocked by the high BG. The odd thing is that there can be a delay in being uncontrolled and the hair falling out - as by the time mine fell out my BG was reasonably okay. Once again, he said that wasn't unusual.

Or something like that.

Anyway, he put me on a diet that seemed a bit weird at the time but worked - venison, salmon, other oily fish, lots of leafy green veg and 2 x 1000mg Omega 3 Fish Oil capsules. He also recommend a good multi vitamin tablet each day. A month or so on and I noticed it started growing back - and its a different colour! I still take one of the 1000mg Omega 3 capsules as I wouldn't want to go through that again. Its not as thick as it used to be but its okay.

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I having thinning hair. Fortunately for you that has nothing to do with met. My hair began thinning 4 1/2 years before going on metformin.
Going to be honest. If I have to choose between bald and keeping my blood glucose levels in control I would choose bald any day, hands down. Shaved hairstylezz not so bad
You can always attempt diet and exercise for blood glucose control. Works well for some of us. Not so well for others. Might work for you.
images

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I having thinning hair. Fortunately for you that has nothing to do with met. My hair began thinning 4 1/2 years before going on metformin.
Going to be honest. If I have to choose between bald and keeping my blood glucose levels in control I would choose bald any day, hands down. Shaved hairstylezz not so bad
You can always attempt diet and exercise for blood glucose control. Works well for some of us. Not so well for others. Might work for you.
images
So another symptom of Insulin resistance?

Pipox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I thought I'd just check this out as my hair has been coming out in handfuls recently. I had put it down to stress as it's not uncommon for me! I visited my hairdresser recently and mentioned my hair loss (emptying my brush every time I brush - almost equal to a month or so previously) and, as I was having high lights she put a special treatment on for me. Upon discussing further she asked if I was on any meds, specifically hormone meds! I'm on two metformin per day and seeing my diabetes nurse today so will definitely mention it but also plan to start taking multivits.

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
I'm 64 and have been on Metformin 5 yrs now? No hair loss that I can attribute to my metformin.

Reactions: suginami

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the last week or so I noticed that my scalp is not shining through like it did earlier in the year.
My hair is not much thicker, as far as I can tell, but it seems to be covering more. I don't have to be so careful to do a comb over before going out in the sun.

Reactions: Speedbird

nadika80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Since I have been on Metformin my hair loss is very worrying. I am hoping to stop taking it by controlling blood sugar by losing weight and eating a low carb diet

MOLITTLE

I am Type 2 diabetic. I take 4 500g Metformin and 1 Januvia to try and control my diabetes.
In September 2010 feeling cold,unwell,tired so Dr arranged blood tests which showed a B12 level of 160 the range is 190-663 so I had to have 5 B12 injections.
In April 2012 I noticed my hair thinning, still feeling cold and tired my doctor did a thyroid test which came back as normal. The blood test showed a Ferritin level of 16 she prescribed Ferrous Fumate 210mg iron tablets. At my review in October the Ferritin increased to 18 but my hair continued to thin and my eyebrows had almost vanished. Her suggestion at this point was to BUY AN EYEBROW PENCIL!!
Skipping to a review in November 2014 still with the same symptoms my Ferritin was 26 and she said the range is 20-200 so your within the range so normal. I purchased a Phillip Kingsley hair book which said for hair to be produced your Ferritin has to be at least 75 and mine is nowhere near that. She increased iron tablets.

Jumping forward to Feb 2017 my hair is still thin and my Ferritin has reached 27.

I bought a paperback on Amazon called 101 things they don't tell you about diabetes and it says that 1 in 4 people taking Metformin have low B12.

My advice would be get your B12 checked. Have a blood test to check your Ferritin levels as they have to be at least 75 for hair production. Eat a good diet including green leafy vegetables and liver is good if you can bear to eat it. I also bought a supplement from Phillip Kingsley website called TRICHOTHERAPY which contain lots of vitamins and nutrients for the hair which have good reviews on his website or on QVC which seem to have stopped the hair shedding.

It is still a work in progress but worth trying as the doctors only suggestion so far has been buy an eyebrow pencil and a wig..... It is a case of find out for yourself and read postings on here where people relate their experiences.
Good luck.

Spiderjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who live on their phones.
Discourteous drivers
Stray apostrophes!