Metformin and its side effects

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BeanyBaby and welcome to the forums. I have no personal experience with metformin but I'm sure those who do will be along soon to advise.

From what I've read, no metformin side effects is a really good thing....

Reactions: MissMuffett

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Some people have quite severe side effects, others experience fairly mild side effects that disappear after a while, many tolerate Metformin really well and do not suffer any side effects at all.
Metformin is a mild drug that helps a little but if you are waiting to see a noticeable improvement, you may be disappointed.
Metformin works by restricting the amount of stored glucose released into your blood from your liver, it also helps to improve your insuln resistance a little.
What it will not do is make much of a difference to the sugar that gets into your blood from your diet.
The glucose you get from eating carbs will cause your blood sugar to rise, Metformin can not help with that.
To actively reduce blood sugar levels, more effective drugs are needed, like insulin or drugs that force your pancreas to produce more insulin.
Most of us find that reducing the amount of carbs in our diet is a far more effective way to reduce our levels.

Prince4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people have quite severe side effects, others experience fairly mild side effects that disappear after a while, many tolerate Metformin really well and do not suffer any side effects at all.
Metformin is a mild drug that helps a little but if you are waiting to see a noticeable improvement, you may be disappointed.
Metformin works by restricting the amount of stored glucose released into your blood from your liver, it also helps to improve your insuln resistance a little.
What it will not do is make much of a difference to the sugar that gets into your blood from your diet.
The glucose you get from eating carbs will cause your blood sugar to rise, Metformin can not help with that.
To actively reduce blood sugar levels, more effective drugs are needed, like insulin or drugs that force your pancreas to produce more insulin.
Most of us find that reducing the amount of carbs in our diet is a far more effective way to reduce our levels.
I heard that Metformin can seriously impact Cardiorespitaory performance and can compromise Mitochondria performance by up to 50%. Would be interested to understand if anyone has experienced this.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been on metformine now for over a year and at first had really bad grippy(?) tummy so they put me on Gastro slow release metformin. It took about a week to settle down and was much better tolerated when taken with a meal. Now I have no symptoms at all. It‘ll be working, you’re just a lucky one :cool:

That reminds me - I read that if you’re taking metformin it’s imperative you also take vitamin B12 supplement. Has anyone been advised by a medical professional to do this?

Last edited:

U.G

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I work with a naturopath and she put me on b12 since long term metformin use apparently depletes b12 .

Reactions: MissMuffett