Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
Hi all

Me again sorry...

Is anyone that's been taking Metformin suffered with memory loss or a feeling of being fuzzy headed at all ? I have been taking Metformin for about 4 weeks now and this has only just started in the last week, I even went out yesterday and forgot to lock the front door ( really not like me at all) and my head feels very fuzzy / foggy ...

I'm trying to get back in at my Drs to talk about this but not having much luck but I'm back on the 5th anyway just wondered if anyone had the same at all ?

Thanks

Matt

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I've not noticed this as a side effect.
I did have that with statins but you aren't on those.

I would suggest that you talk to your health team about coming off the Metformin for a while to see if that clears it. Might be an idea to stick with the pills a little longer, though, to see if it settles down.

Could also be due to one of the bugs going around.

Edit: have you changed your diet at all? Early stages of LCHF can give you carb flu.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are your blood sugar levels like, high blood sugars can make you fuzzy headed.

mattbrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
I've not noticed this as a side effect.
I did have that with statins but you aren't on those.

I would suggest that you talk to your health team about coming off the Metformin for a while to see if that clears it. Might be an idea to stick with the pills a little longer, though, to see if it settles down.

Could also be due to one of the bugs going around.

Edit: have you changed your diet at all? Early stages of LCHF can give you carb flu.
I am eating LCHF but I think I have. Sent through the carb flu I've eaten only LCHF since the day after my diagnosis week 1 was rough but have been feeling great from about half way through week 2 :)

mattbrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
Screenshot_20180131-183522.jpg
this has been me today which I think is ok ?

Reactions: Rachox

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to say get your B levels and iron tested. Pls speak to your team.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Metformin and a statin for 5 weeks at the end of 2016 - it had a devastating effect on my memory and ability to find the car in the supermarket car park - if you are having problems I'd say stop taking the tablets at once - things can only get worse and it has taken a year to start to see old abilities coming back.
I used to be a folk singer, now I can still sing, but have to read the words, and sometimes strange things happen to the tunes, but at the little folk club I go to they are sympathetic with such problems.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Metformin did that to me. I had a sick headache for a couple of weeks and then just a dull ache with fuzzyness. I also had bowel problems and felt sick. I stopped taking them and felt much better within a few days.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can we please not advise people to stop taking prescribed medication. Please advise them to see their health team. Thank you

Reactions: Sani Thomas

mattbrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
Don't worry I'm not going to stop till Monday but what Resurgam and daisyduck are discribing is exactly how I feel, I have got my levels down and lost 1stone 7pounds since I was diagnosed so I'm going to be having a very serious conversation with my Dr regarding coming off Metformin during my appointment

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try as an experiment increasing your salt intake by having a stock cube in a mug of hot water two times a day as low salt can make you light-headed on a low carb diet.

Also, do you take any meds to reduce your blood pressure and have you been testing your own blood pressure? (blood pressure can drop on a low carb diet, metformin can make this improvement happen quicker.)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose it is already too late so a few more days will not make much difference, but the effect the Metformin and statin tablets has had on my memory has been dreadful. Just imagine one week being able to sing several hundred songs, and then suddenly finding you can't remember them at the next meeting.