Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Hi All,

Last night I was looking for an answer online and I couldn't find one, so I'm hoping that somebody here has had an experience and can advise. I have lowered my HbA1C from 65 to 43, and I am continuing with the LCHF diet. I am currently still on 500mg Metformin 3 times a day.

Before bed, I checked my blood sugars because I felt shaky and panicky, but it was 5.2 (**** fake hypo!). I decided to go to sleep without taking my 3rd Metformin because I have heard scary stories that it can cause a hypo. And previously my GP refused to prescribe me Metformin when I was at HbA1C 46. My blood sugars were usually in the 6-7 range before bed.

My question is - should I have taken the Metformin? Would you have? Perhaps it is time for me to cut the dose? I will try and go see my GP soon.

Many thanks!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Last night I was looking for an answer online and I couldn't find one, so I'm hoping that somebody here has had an experience and can advise. I have lowered my HbA1C from 65 to 43, and I am continuing with the LCHF diet. I am currently still on 500mg Metformin 3 times a day.

Before bed, I checked my blood sugars because I felt shaky and panicky, but it was 5.2 (**** fake hypo!). I decided to go to sleep without taking my 3rd Metformin because I have heard scary stories that it can cause a hypo. And previously my GP refused to prescribe me Metformin when I was at HbA1C 46. My blood sugars were usually in the 6-7 range before bed.

My question is - should I have taken the Metformin? Would you have? Perhaps it is time for me to cut the dose? I will try and go see my GP soon.

Many thanks!

Hello, as far as I’m aware metformin doesn’t cause hypos. It is not a blood glucose lowering medication. I’m glad you are doing well with lchf and lowering your hba1c. I think your best bet is to speak to your doctor about it.

Reactions: Anniya84

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have strict instructions that I can't say that metformin doesn't lower blood glucose, so I won't - but with your results it does seem rather superfluous to requirements.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hi All,

Many thanks!
Metformin has a gentle effect upon blood sugars, I say you should have taken it and gone to see your GP about perhaps reducing them. Even though I am being VERY hypocritical because I quit the metformin a long time before the GP took me off of it. You’re doing very well though so kudos to you for that! If you have adequate production of insulin and are not on glucose lowering meds though then you shouldn’t hypo in the night, hope this helps!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take three Metformin per day and my HbA1c has been mid thirties for 2 years. I prefer to keep taking it as it has effects other than helping with type 2. I take two at breakfast and one with dinner. I often go to sleep with a blood sugar in the fours and wake up to high 4s/low 5s. I’m not saying my numbers in any way to boast but just to demonstrate that I do wake up in the morning despite taking Metformin and having a low bedtime reading HTH

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
Thank you all for your responses! I shall continue to take it at night with my mind at peace. :) I am now quite often in low 5s, but yet to see 4s. Just thinking that a few months ago I was in a steady 11-16s... I feel so much better now. :D Thanks everyone for advice and support!