metformin, dapagliflozin, gliclazide....what next?

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi all, haven't posted for some time, although I follow the forum regularly so I know I'm not alone! I was diagnosed type 2, 7 years ago with very high hba1c of 111 (12.5). Through following the excellent advice and information on this site I managed to get it down to a much better level. However, these last years it has been creeping up despite increase in meds and applying an ever lower carb diet. Spoke to my diabetic nurse (who is lovely) this morning and she has increased my gliclazide yet again to 2 x 80 mcg in the morning and 1 in the evening. I will see her again in October, and if things haven't improved she will add something further into the mix! I do not want to lose any more weight and feel fit and well...recently retired so plenty of walking (up to 10 and 12 miles on the coast path some days). Can anyone think of what medication could follow if no improvement in bgs, my last hba1c was 8.6? Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, I am determined to get on top of this!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are losing weight I would be suspicious of being T1 and not T2. You might want to ask the nurse for the two tests for T1. I was on full dose (320mg) for a few years and then went on to insulin when it stopped working.

Reactions: EllieM and McHelen

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, haven't posted for some time, although I follow the forum regularly so I know I'm not alone! I was diagnosed type 2, 7 years ago with very high hba1c of 111 (12.5). Through following the excellent advice and information on this site I managed to get it down to a much better level. However, these last years it has been creeping up despite increase in meds and applying an ever lower carb diet. Spoke to my diabetic nurse (who is lovely) this morning and she has increased my gliclazide yet again to 2 x 80 mcg in the morning and 1 in the evening. I will see her again in October, and if things haven't improved she will add something further into the mix! I do not want to lose any more weight and feel fit and well...recently retired so plenty of walking (up to 10 and 12 miles on the coast path some days). Can anyone think of what medication could follow if no improvement in bgs, my last hba1c was 8.6? Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, I am determined to get on top of this!
I am a T2 on metformin, Gliclazide and low carb, I am struggling to get my levels down and the DN has been slowly increasing my Gliclazide. Currently I am on 240mg per day split between morning and evening with DN advising that we still have 2 increases to go before I am on max dose. so going on your dose, they may titrate your dose higher, depending on the effect on your levels. My levels are still in double figures and I am trying to get them into single figures. Are you testing? I am testing my levels 8 times per day and submitting my readings to the DN for review.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi. If you are losing weight I would be suspicious of being T1 and not T2. You might want to ask the nurse for the two tests for T1. I was on full dose (320mg) for a few years and then went on to insulin when it stopped working.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Thank you for your reply, I have wondered about that but sometime before diagnosis I had put on a bit of weight, then lost it again quite quickly, so was probably insulin resistant for a few years. It's a complicated business, just want to get the right medication to get within range. Worth asking though.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
I am a T2 on metformin, Gliclazide and low carb, I am struggling to get my levels down and the DN has been slowly increasing my Gliclazide. Currently I am on 240mg per day split between morning and evening with DN advising that we still have 2 increases to go before I am on max dose. so going on your dose, they may titrate your dose
I am a T2 on metformin, Gliclazide and low carb, I am struggling to get my levels down and the DN has been slowly increasing my Gliclazide.
I am a T2 on metformin, Gliclazide and low carb, I am struggling to get my levels down and the DN has been slowly increasing my Gliclazide. Currently I am on 240mg per day split between morning and evening with DN advising that we still have 2 increases to go before I am on max dose. so going on your dose, they may titrate your dose higher, depending on the effect on your levels. My levels are still in double figures and I am trying to get them into single figures. Are you testing? I am testing my levels 8 times per day and submitting my readings to the DN for review.
Thanks @McHelen, I hope that may be what she is planning I am beginning to think a diet of eggs is the only way to beat this

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
P.s I have followed your story @Daibell and I can see a lot of similarities with my own journey.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
P.s I have followed your story @Daibell and I can see a lot of similarities with my own journey.

If you do have LADA instead of T1 then it's worth getting the diagnosis, as (assuming you are in the UK), as T1s get better medical treatment than T2s (eg access to continuous glucose monitors and insulin pumps).

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
If you do have LADA instead of T1 then it's worth getting the diagnosis, as (assuming you are in the UK), as T1s get better medical treatment than T2s (eg access to continuous glucose monitors and insulin pumps).
Thank you EllieM, it is certainly worth querying with the diabetic nurse. I forgot to include in my post that she mentioned that it might be beta cell fatigue.