Metformin efficacy

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just read that metformin only reduces hba1c by 1.5 to 2%. Is that right?? Surely it’s hardly worth taking it

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’ve just read that metformin only reduces hba1c by 1.5 to 2%. Is that right?? Surely it’s hardly worth taking it

There are two measurement systems for hba1c. I suspect that your article is referring to the % one, where diabeter (48mmol/mol) comes in at 6.5 % . A drop from 7.5% (58.5mmol/mol) to 6.5% (48mmol/mol) is quite significant.

Reactions: Kazz94

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely it’s hardly worth taking it
I reduced my hba1c from 58.4 mmol/mol to 35.7mmol/mol in three or four months, with a low carb healthy fat change to my eating habits while I was taking Metformin.

I have been off metformin for a couple of years now, so it'swell worth taking the effort to get your bgl down.

Reactions: Pasha and EllieM

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are two measurement systems for hba1c. I suspect that your article is referring to the % one, where diabeter (48mmol/mol) comes in at 6.5 % . A drop from 7.5% (58.5mmol/mol) to 6.5% (48mmol/mol) is quite significant.
My hba1c was 106 but the article I read said 1.5 to 2% reduction which equates to a max reduction of 2, so down yo 104 or am I getting this wrong?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My hba1c was 106 but the article I read said 1.5 to 2% reduction which equates to a max reduction of 2, so down yo 104 or am I getting this wrong?

The 106mmol/mol converts into 11.8% in DCCT units (still used in many parts of the world eg the US). 2% off that would bring you down to 9.8% or 84mmol/mol, still too high but better than it was before. (The issue is in the way the word % is being used.)

I'd suggest that it's likely you'll need more than just metformin to get your levels to where you want them to be, but metformin is the first line medication for T2s and as @Riva_Roxaban said, diet can make a massive difference to diabetic control.
Has your doctor got you taking any other medication?

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Metformin reduces the amount of glucose your liver releases and helps a little with insulin resistance, I believe it also helps with weight loss. If you don't suffer from the unfortunate side effects that some people get it can be a useful drug and help somewhat.
What it can't do is remove any glucose in your blood that is there because of diet, it just doesn't work like that. To lower your glucose levels using medication you need drugs that make you pee the sugar out, or squeeze every last drop of insulin from your already overworked pancreas or insulin injections of course.
By far the easiest way to reduce glucose levels, the most successful and with no side effects is your diet, if you don't eat or drink carbs/sugar they can't find their way into your blood.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin helps a bit but isn't a miracle cure. GPs love it because they can be seen to be doing something.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My GP has just now taken me off Metformin due to Kidney issues. It did help with reducing diet and reducing the amount of sugar released by my liver but never had a significant effect on bs levels.