Metformin, kidney , UTI

Winnie-the-Pooh

Hi,

Anyone has seen any kidney related side effects with metformin ? Or more UTIs or flank pain ?

I’m on twice daily ( 500 mg). I think it gave me UTI.

Best

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
During the short time I took Metformin (it only seemed like an eternity) I needed to drink far more water than normal as it was shooting through me rather than being absorbed. I had so many pains that it is difficult to know which was what, but my kidneys were struggling and showed dehydration despite me drinking regularly throughout the day and often the night.
A medication can't really give you a UTI - the organism has to be there to infect you, but dehydration could be part of the problem.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have never had a problem with UTIs whilst on Metformin. This can be a problem with meds which send excess sugar out of your body via your urine, as the bugs like the sugar, but Metformin doesn’t work this way. If however your blood sugars are running high you will have sugar in your wee regardless of any meds you are on. Do you check your blood sugars, if so what readings are you seeing?

Winnie-the-Pooh

My blood sugar was very low and I was on keto diet . I could have been in lactic acidosis. I stopped keto altogether and reduced metformin to one daily . I might increase it if I can handle it with no more UTIs . I did drink lots of water though .