Metformin Or Not!

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have been low carbing for the last few years and have seen good result with a reduction of blood sugars down to 46 mmol or 6.4%. at my last check up in May I decided to remove myself from my 1 x 500mg metformin daily to see what would happen and if I could manage without. Since then I have been suffering a number of irregular blood sugar readings especially in the morning. The pattern has been high in the morning which I know is DP effect and then it slowly drops off towards the evening to a normal level 6 or 7 mmol. I also fast from 9 pm until 1pm the next day daily. Lately my readings have not been following this pattern. I took a reading this morning after a 12 mile cycle to my office and it was high for me at 11.9 mmol. My question is could these fluctuations be brought about as a result of stopping the metformin and should I maybe go back on it?

Thoughts would be welcomed please

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @AlbertoLaidlaw from other discussions on here Metformin does not make a big difference to Bg. It could be a coincidence especially with the heat. A lot of people are getting high and low readings. Testing after a 12 mile bike ride I would have thought that your bloods would be up with the extra fuel for the exercise:)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The only way to know for sure is to restart Met but as has been said, this unusual weather may have played its part, too. Metformin is said to have a greater influence on FBGs rather than pre/post prandial levels.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
How about using a libra freestyle to have half hourly some graph for a few days?

Even without met, i would think if your carb intake is under control, your bgl should not be above 10 for more than half an hour at any time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After I stopped Metformin I saw a period of steady readings and then suddenly numbers were all over - I reasoned that the Metformin had been suppressing my liver's normal activity and as the concentration dropped - it is accumulative - my liver was struggling to get back to normal. After a few weeks that is what happened.
I trust my liver to do the right thing at the time, so am glad to have freed it from drug induced constraints.

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The only way to know for sure is to restart Met but as has been said, this unusual weather may have played its part, too. Metformin is said to have a greater influence on FBGs rather than pre/post prandial levels.
Good idea thanks, I see there is a wait for the Libra Freestyle but I have registered for one.
Thanks

Reactions: Guzzler

Lionel12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @AlbertoLaidlaw from other discussions on here Metformin does not make a big difference to Bg. It could be a coincidence especially with the heat. A lot of people are getting high and low readings. Testing after a 12 mile bike ride I would have thought that your bloods would be up with the extra fuel for the exercise:)
I can't stand Metformin - makes me ill. Received wisdom is to keep taking it and you will eventually get used to it. I stopped taking the stuff as I got fed up with visiting the bathroom every morning at 2 a.m. being sick. I have since discovered I am not alone - but this drug is favoured because it's easily the cheapest way of treating diabetes with tablets. I had to pay 20 Euros a month for Diamicron Uno tablets out of my own pocket as they aren't paid for by the German health insurance system. The heat, by the way, has cut my food intake and blood sugar considerably. Not as much as 3 days fasting before a colonoscopy did, mind - that had my BS down to below 60 mg/dl without insulin. It's a strange ailment and different for each patient...