Metformin question

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice or to see if anyone else had experienced this, I spoke to diabetes nurse today after getting 3 month HBA1C results on Friday, it was reduced from 66 to 43, she was delighted with the results but has advised me to stay on metformin for the next 6 months (just one a day which is all I've been taking) until next blood test. Has anybody else been advised to just stay on the medication with a reduced level, I really want to reach remission with this, is that possible if I'm still taking diabetes medication?

Maggie

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice or to see if anyone else had experienced this, I spoke to diabetes nurse today after getting 3 month HBA1C results on Friday, it was reduced from 66 to 43, she was delighted with the results but has advised me to stay on metformin for the next 6 months (just one a day which is all I've been taking) until next blood test. Has anybody else been advised to just stay on the medication with a reduced level, I really want to reach remission with this, is that possible if I'm still taking diabetes medication?

Maggie
Congratulations on the reduction.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I really want to reach remission with this, is that possible if I'm still taking diabetes medication?

While 43 is an awesome result (congratulations) it still isn't quite at non diabetic levels (42 to 47 is prediabetic). The metformin won't be doing you any harm (unless it gives you gastric issues and you'd already know about that if it was happening) and if you lower your hba1c at the next test (by low carbing) the nurse will likely say you can drop it. Plenty of low carbers on here take medication stronger than metformin (TBH one tablet won't be doing that much) and reduce it as their blood sugars go down.

Congrats on the new hba1c, you're almost in remission. (But realise that being in remission doesn't mean that you can go back to whatever your previous diet was, as if you take too many carbs for your metabolism your levels will just go back up.)