1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin Question

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by ExChocoholic, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ExChocoholic

ExChocoholic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was interested to read a post via fb page this morning in relation to Meformin, in which a member had been moved from Metformin to another med for Type 2, a reply said that as Metformin helps lose weight, the alternative drug was more suiitable for T2s who are not overweight. I am one of those people and wish to learn more about the alternative drug if anyone can help please? Sorry, I can't find the post now and do not recall the alternative drug's name. I am thinking of speaking to my GP about changing from Metformin as it's said effects are not always easy to live with and I have meerly put up with them because, as my GP said 'that or higher sugars'.

2. uart

uart Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

There are several other drugs, but I think the most common one is glicazide.

3. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been on metformin for years it's not helped me lose weight!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Simon84

Simon84 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

cud be that u need to eat less carbs,,,seems 2 help many ppl on this website

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Could be but then I wouldn't have much left to eat.

6. florrieboo48

florrieboo48 Type 2 · Member

Metformin hasn't helped me. I went to Drs and diagnosed in 2012. I was told I was 4lbs overweight. I have lost 8lbs but thru diet. So if it is for overweight people, should I be on it?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Metformin does not lower blood sugars or weight loss to any great extent and isn't intended to. It helps to reduce insulin resistance, appetite, and the production of glucose in the liver - but all to a limited extent. It will not work on its own. It must be taken in conjunction with a suitable diet - ie. reduced carbs. It is not a miracle drug nor a drug that allows you to eat what you like. It is not insulin. If a person takes metformin but does not reduce carbs, blood sugars will barely improve. Appetite may be reduced with Metformin, but weight loss won't improve without a suitable diet.

• Like Like x 23
  8. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Er, meat, fish, above-ground veg and salads, cheese, eggs, nuts, berries?

• Like Like x 8
  9. jason134

jason134 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I lost weight on metformin cos I was a permanent fixture on the loo

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. destiny0321

destiny0321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You want to try metformin slow release like you I was a fixture on the loo but not since metformin slow release it agrees with me no more stuck on the loo.i have had metformin taken off me for now as have osteomilitus infection in the bone in big toe also changed insulin pens was on humalin 1 now on lanctus & nova rapid.if metformin sr is no good plenty more medication.

11. jason134

Not on metformin now . Now on gliptin much better

• Like Like x 2
  12. carliannie

carliannie · Member

What improvement have you found particularly useful on the glipton as opposed to metformin

13. JayneB1977

JayneB1977 Type 2 · Newbie

I take metformin and one 10mg dapogliflozin tablet which is helping me lose weight. I find I am ok on metformin so long as I stay away from any bad foods or treats. Soon as I indulge in a small treat I'm away to the loo !

• Like Like x 2
  14. Moosepig

Moosepig Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been on SR metformin since about September, no toilet effects, but i have the most horrendous flushing,especially at night so get very little sleep but taking it and sticking to a no sugar, low fat diet i lost 2 stones

15. jason134

@carliannie my bg levels are a lot more stable and no side effects

16. Jax11

Jax11 Type 2 · Newbie

I have just started taking dapagliflozin 10mg.Have you suffered any side effects please.

17. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. I agree with Bluetit. Metformin really only helps those who are overweight and hence insulin resistant. If you are slim then you may need something like Gliclazide and/or Sitagliptin both of which stimulate the pancreas in different ways to produce more insulin. I had both of these added when the Metformin didn't help and I have always been slim. Eventually none of these worked hence the insulin I'm now on. Bear in mind that diabetics who are not overweight are probably producing too little insulin as I was. A T2 diagnosis particularly if you are young may be incorrect as Late onset T1 is more likely but GPs can be ignorant of that. The treatment approach is similar i..e low-carb diet, and possibly two or three tablets but insulin may finally be needed but don't worry as it's not a problem.

18. ExChocoholic

ExChocoholic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm really not happy with Metformin - I am going to ask GP ti change it. Recommendations would be appreciated as i see there are a couple of alternatives and wonder about potential side effects of these. Loo reference above I can relate to and I am on SR as side effects of the others were worse!

19. JayneB1977

JayneB1977 Type 2 · Newbie

No side effects at all from dapogliflozin I think it's very good. Doctor said could cause thrush but it hasn't

20. aRBemo

aRBemo Type 2 · Newbie

I am t2 for 10 year,s It's not Metformin that makes you go to the loo a lot its too much sugar in your diet and eating to much, I know because I got through phases of it. With exercise and gentle diet I went from 4 Mets a day and the threat of injecting to one a day and 2.5 stone lighter and life is much easier as is my mental health.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook