Metformin slow release Q

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all

Have just picked up new prescription for slow release metformin. Up until now I have been prescribed 2x500mg twice a day of regular metformin. The new box says to take one 500mg slow release tablet “as advised”.

As far as I can make out, that is only a quarter of the dose I have been taking of regular metformin.

However, no leaflet in box, my diabetes nurse is away til Weds, and GP no help - just said to do whatever diabetes nurse said but nurse did not mention dosage as she was just switching me to slow release to avoid stomach upsets.

So, I am going to play it safe and stay on regular metformin til I can speak to diabetes nurse on Wednesday, but does anyone know if dosage is like for like between regular and slow release metformin?

Thanks in advance

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We can’t advise on this however, how about asking the pharmacist, they may be happy to.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all

Have just picked up new prescription for slow release metformin. Up until now I have been prescribed 2x500mg twice a day of regular metformin. The new box says to take one 500mg slow release tablet “as advised”.

As far as I can make out, that is only a quarter of the dose I have been taking of regular metformin.

However, no leaflet in box, my diabetes nurse is away til Weds, and GP no help - just said to do whatever diabetes nurse said but nurse did not mention dosage as she was just switching me to slow release to avoid stomach upsets.

So, I am going to play it safe and stay on regular metformin til I can speak to diabetes nurse on Wednesday, but does anyone know if dosage is like for like between regular and slow release metformin?

Thanks in advance
You might find this article helpful: http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11/metformin-vs-metformin-er.html

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We can’t advise on this however, how about asking the pharmacist, they may be happy to.

Thanks. I did ask the pharmacy but they said they can only go on what has been written on the prescription.

I’m not asking anyone to tell me what to take, and I intend to stay on regular metformin until I speak to my diabetes nurse. I just wondered if anyone knew if the dosage is like for like.

Reactions: Rachox

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Yes, I had seen that and it is a very good article. However it doesn’t really clarify if dosage is like for like.

I guess I will wait til Weds.
I have recently changed from ordinary Metformin to Glucophage SR and my GP seemed to assume the doses were like for like. In fact at my request my dose was increased from 1500mg to 2g, with only good effects.

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently changed from ordinary Metformin to Glucophage SR and my GP seemed to assume the doses were like for like. In fact at my request my dose was increased from 1500mg to 2g, with only good effects.

Thank you. That is helpful to know