Metformin slow release

Ames37

So, have had a phone consultation today as I’m self isolating due to new cough. They have put me on sukkarto metformin slow release to reduce side effects as I’m scared of them!
I should start them tonight but I’m terrified, what should I expect?!
They don’t want me to do just low carb as my levels are too high (11%) and they want to lower them quicker.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin can cause bathroom "issues", I was fine on them.

Metformin might help with the dawn phenominom, but otherwise you won't notice a difference. It is doing things behind the scenes.

Depending on what your hba1c was, going low carb (or keto) may be sufficient. Lowering carbs is more efficient than taking metformin. Do you remember what your HbA1c was?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in case you are sensitive to Metformin - I'd really recommend taking them earlier in the day.
I used to do my errands in the morning and take the pill at lunchtime, as I had to go out of the house fairly regularly. - that meant the worst was over by the time I went to bed, at least at first.
I think it accumulates over a few weeks.
Of course you might be fine taking it, as you have got the slow release - but if not it can be pretty miserable.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Normally Slow Release Metformin has very few side effects. It can cause taste disturbance for a while but for most patients that's all.

Reactions: Ames37

Ames37

Metformin can cause bathroom "issues", I was fine on them.

Metformin might help with the dawn phenominom, but otherwise you won't notice a difference. It is doing things behind the scenes.

Depending on what your hba1c was, going low carb (or keto) may be sufficient. Lowering carbs is more efficient than taking metformin. Do you remember what your HbA1c was?

Doc said it was 11% whatever that means

Ames37

Just in case you are sensitive to Metformin - I'd really recommend taking them earlier in the day.
I used to do my errands in the morning and take the pill at lunchtime, as I had to go out of the house fairly regularly. - that meant the worst was over by the time I went to bed, at least at first.
I think it accumulates over a few weeks.
Of course you might be fine taking it, as you have got the slow release - but if not it can be pretty miserable.

What side effects did you have, if you don’t mind me asking?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Metformin and Atorvastatin, so don't know which caused what, though the Metformin was the most likely one to cause the dreadful internal upsets with incontinence, my sense of taste was altered so everything tasted strange - my memory was affected but I suspect the statin did that, and I had terrible pains in my muscles and joints. I thought that I was going to have to move into a care home, but I threw out the tablets just before Christmas 2016 and it only took a year or so to recover.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was prescribed Metformin and Atorvastatin, so don't know which caused what, though the Metformin was the most likely one to cause the dreadful internal upsets with incontinence, my sense of taste was altered so everything tasted strange - my memory was affected but I suspect the statin did that, and I had terrible pains in my muscles and joints. I thought that I was going to have to move into a care home, but I threw out the tablets just before Christmas 2016 and it only took a year or so to recover.
That would be the plain Metformin and not the SR version?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The SR/slow release metformin shouldn't cause the same issues as the standard version.

However, something to be aware of is that metformin plus eating starchy carbs can sometimes be a cause of those "bathroom issues" that @xfieldok mentioned. Unfortunately I can't provide a link as the original source no longer exists, but similar information regarding undigested starch fermenting in the gut is mentioned here: https://www.bloodsugar101.com/metformin. But from memory, the only couple of times I had the "metfartin" runs was actually when I 'd eaten somewhat more starchy stuff than I should have done (while on the standard version)!

So another suggestion for low carbing anyway from me too.

Reactions: Ames37