metformin type 2

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Kezzer, I shall bear that in mind, ...symphonies huh...:) nice way of putting it. I feel much better now and If I'm honest I have had these " events " before, and never did find out why.

It's early days only on the second dose, but no obvious side effects as yet thankfully.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I suffered to but luckily my dr put me on metformin slow release 1000 mg morning,1000mg evening.
No more problems with it hope you get sorted.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Took my first ever met with breakky ..scrambled eggs, mushrooms, wafer thin sliced ham and half tin of tomatoes. Reading 2 hours later 5.7 ..cool. Felt weird whilst out shopping, extreme tiredness, sleepy, lethargic, light headed, so when I got home I took my BG again and it was 5.1. Now I'm perplexed ,with these readings I shouldn't be feeling so washed out. I was fine when I got up this morning.

Guess it's just one of those bad days.
When I first switched to low carb it does make you feel funny for a few days.
Also weight loss and low carb means you have to sometimes reduce your dose. I felt like this until the chemist reduced my dose from 3 to 1 tablets. Just bear this in mind and keep an eye on your readings! Hugs!

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks scandichic, it has upset my tummy, which obviously isn't pleasant, but on the plus side day 2 of taking metformin my post meal reading was only 6.2 :- Ta da :) day one after the same low carb breakfast was 6.7

I'm learning....slowly, just done a 2mile dog walk, I'm washed out now

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes jack..it is an issue with me, I'm trying to find the balance, I had a coronary bypass 15 years ago and need to be careful with fats, it's a double edge sword, damned if I do...damned if I don't .

Thanks buddy, I'll check out those links

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fat's are a hard one for someone with CVD, But you may find it's the carbs that gave you the trouble? you will need to read up a lot and see what you can work out,
fats may drop your tigs and raise your HDL and statin will sort the LDL, but they will be the fluffy and not the small dense
cholesterol

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm learning that jack, thanks so much for the video link...beautifully explained, and certainly undeniable that LCHF long term is the best way forward for me. I noted interestingly that the effects that has caused my CVD is reversible in as much that I can delay the impact from further damage by adopting a LCHF lifestyle . I guess since my MI and surgery , my inclination for excercise and being more aware of my diet has helped.

Onwards and upwards, brilliant video, my condition now makes much more sense to me.

Thanks

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
although he's a teaching professor and knows his stuff, I wouldn't take a single source for anything, also he is talking about a ketogenic LCHF, where the carbs are under 50g a day

Reactions: 4 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know yet how hard it will be to maintain a carb control to that level in real terms in ordinary day to day life, but I'm sure I need to vastly reduce my carbs, control the amount and types of fats I eat in the hope that "fluffy" and friendly ldl's can do their job without being attacked by sticky dense VDL's, which is more than likely what caused my cvd in the first place.

Thanks again for the heads up. :)

stephiesut

Ive been taking 2000mg for 2 years and still make me feel ****. Ive never thought to ask for something different, just suffered it. I am going to speak to my dsn this week and see if i can swap!

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And are you stable and in control stephie? , if so why not ask for a drug review.

I spoke to my doc the other day and he's hopeful that once my diet and T2 is under control, he wants me off the statins. As for metformin, I'm taking each day as it comes. Strangely i feel fine in the evening, it's mid afternoon I feel ****.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
although he's a teaching professor and knows his stuff, I wouldn't take a single source for anything, also he is talking about a ketogenic LCHF, where the carbs are under 50g a day

Great link, Jack.

One thing that stuck out for me is that (according to this source) triglycerides of 0.9 is not a fatty liver, but more than 1.0 is.

Suddenly, I want my cholesterol tested again!

:)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great link, Jack.
One thing that stuck out for me is that (according to this source) triglycerides of 0.9 is not a fatty liver, but more than 1.0 is.
Suddenly, I want my cholesterol tested again!:)
I think that would also reflect fat for other organs too, sadly my april cholesterol was only 2.7 but my TG was over 1, so low cholesterol doesn't tell the story

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know yet how hard it will be to maintain a carb control to that level in real terms in ordinary day to day life, but I'm sure I need to vastly reduce my carbs, control the amount and types of fats I eat in the hope that "fluffy" and friendly ldl's can do their job without being attacked by sticky dense VDL's, which is more than likely what caused my cvd in the first place.

Thanks again for the heads up. :)

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

there are a few simple rules, no grain, grain product [flour pasta bread etc. including grain oil and margarine,] no sugary stuff incl fruit. no potato and other high carb/starchy veg, e.g. corn, ...eat everything else, you can adjust your carbs as you learn more..
if you are out, go to a supermarket and buy your lunch in the deli and veg section.. ..it's cheaper and better....use ham slices etc, as your bread and make rollups with stuff like cheese, tomato etc

there is a collection of videos here
https://www.youtube.com/user/lowcarbdownunder

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

there are a few simple rules, no grain, grain product [flour pasta bread etc. including grain oil and margarine,] no sugary stuff incl fruit. no potato and other high carb/starchy veg, e.g. corn, ...eat everything else, you can adjust your carbs as you learn more..
if you are out, go to a supermarket and buy your lunch in the deli and veg section.. ..it's cheaper and better....use ham slices etc, as your bread and make rollups with stuff like cheese, tomato etc

there is a collection of videos here
https://www.youtube.com/user/lowcarbdownunder

Thanks a lot Jack, very interesting bed time reading for me doing well today fasting reading was 5.6 post 5.5 , after almost a carb free breakfast which I thought strange but I'll take it :) and just done a random at 5.7.

Not feeling washed out today....Happy days