metformin with food

elginlass

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry, another question. when i went to pick up my first prescription of metformin the pharmacist stressed that it has to be taken with food but as they are affecting my appetite i'm sometimes not hungry when it comes to taking my tablets in the evening so should they be taken with a full meal or can you get away with a small snack ie yogurt and some fruit? thanks

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have done that to be honest, just see how you go and if you get the dreadful loo runs then take with more food.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the "take with food" advice is probably to help avoid any possible upset tum, or "runs" issues. I've sometimes taken my metformin SR with small snacks or occasionally on its own if I've forgotten to take with my meal and don't have any problems. But the only way is to try and see, as not everyone's the same, so you may get different results.

Robbity

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm on SR metformin and don't always take mine with food, I've never had any problem.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on SR metformin one 1000g one in the morning only ever have a cuppa coffee with it
the normal 3 times a day 500mg ones did my body in with cramps etc

Jeaneo1945

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I'm on metaformen been on it about 2years but they have put me on a new one just one a day but there doing img nothing for and it's starting to affect my kidneys as there not working as good as what they should be

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My morning Metformin is taken with a large milky coffee (just can't face food 1st thing) and I must admit that generanally I don't always take them with food. If they cause me any digestion problems it's when I eat more carbs with a meal, but that could just be me as I have what I refer to as an "Awkard" digestion, which I believe to be ibs but has never been formally diagnosed.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin has a reputation and has also been called "metfartin" :D:D

Too many undigested starchy carbs may end up being fermented in your gut, giving rise to some unpleasant side effects.:wideyed:

Robbity