1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by LaurenMoffitt, Jun 4, 2016.

1. LaurenMoffitt

LaurenMoffitt Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Does upset stomach from metformin start straight away please? Been taking 500mg a day with lunch since Tues. Started getting an upset stomach today.

Also has anyone found the need to drink more and wee less please?

Thanks

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Yes, if you are going to have Metformin stomach upset it seems to start immediately. If it doesn't fade after a week or two ask the GP for Slow Release (SR) version. I've not heard of any direct effect on urination from Metformin?

• Like Like x 2
  3. PenfoldAPD

PenfoldAPD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine was a bit random, sometimes I was ok - other days straight to the toilet. As mentioned many people find slow release Metformin better, you can ask your Doc to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LaurenMoffitt

LaurenMoffitt Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Going to go and ask for slow release. Another day trapped in the toilet!! Guts are bubbling and boiling like a witches cauldron!!

5. RoseofSharon

RoseofSharon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mine started straight away and I had to ask for the slow release version, and though it's better it's not a miracle fix.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

I've been taking Metformin for over 12 years, and it gives me constipation! (I am on 2000mg a day)

7. Anti_up

Anti_up Type 2 · Newbie

I found 1000 a day too much as I already suffered from IBS... Have slows release 500 now and it has settled...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook