Metformin

Emily1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I'm new on here. Just taken metformin for the first time this morning. Have felt sick all day and had a very upset stomach! Is this usual? Any advice, should I keep taking it?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it's very common with the standard version. It usually clears after a couple of weeks but if it doesn't ask the GP to swap you to the Slow Release version which is much kinder but a bit more expensive

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I'm new on here. Just taken metformin for the first time this morning. Have felt sick all day and had a very upset stomach! Is this usual? Any advice, should I keep taking it?
The leaflet that comes with your Metformin does say if you get upset stomach, nausea. Stop taking it and see your Doctor.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking the Metformin with, or after, food? That is usually the advice but, in spite of that, some people do have issues when starting it. As mentioned above, if you can't tolerate it, then you must go back and see your doctor.

Good luck

Smelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Started taking it about six weeks ago. Felt a bit sick and had dodgy tum for a few day's but it passed

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going by reading a lot of posts on the forum, most docs will say to ride out the symptoms for a while and allow your body to adjust.
The SR version costs a bit more, so they are unwilling to prescribe until the symptoms persist.

Metformin should always be taken with food, and started off on a small dose, working up to the full dose over several weeks. It takes a while for the body to adjust and absorb the medication.

phila

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat chocolate, bread & cakes
Feeling sick lasted a few weeks but I felt constantly full and lost my appetite for a good month or so after that. Fine now although had to come off cholesterol tablets I was prescribed due to liver reaction.