Metformin

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
I have been a type 2 diabetic for just over a year now and now because my latest blood test wasnt that good the diabetes nurse has prescribed me Metformin, start on 1 tablet 500mg a day and after a week 1 tablet twice a day, I have been taking it as prescribed, with food, but oh the side effects!

The stomach pains that last all day, the excess wind, the nausea that I have most of the day! Also I have an Ileostomy and my output at times is so great I am getting dehydrated no matter how much I drink.

I was supposed to go to twice a day on Saturday but I really can not face these side effects getting worse....will they get better or should I go back sooner than planned to see the nurse?

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people can't take Metformin because of the side effects, usually bad diarrhoea. It is much more effective to lower blood sugars using a low carb diet. What are you typically eating and what were your blood test numbers?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no harm in going to see the nurse and explaining your difficulty. If you are not on the slow release version she may prescribe those and they are kinder on the stomach.

Your nurse might tell you that the side effects will go away in time. It really is up to you how you proceed.

Emerald44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been a type 2 diabetic for just over a year now and now because my latest blood test wasnt that good the diabetes nurse has prescribed me Metformin, start on 1 tablet 500mg a day and after a week 1 tablet twice a day, I have been taking it as prescribed, with food, but oh the side effects!

The stomach pains that last all day, the excess wind, the nausea that I have most of the day! Also I have an Ileostomy and my output at times is so great I am getting dehydrated no matter how much I drink.

I was supposed to go to twice a day on Saturday but I really can not face these side effects getting worse....will they get better or should I go back sooner than planned to see the nurse?
Persevere with them I was prescribed 2 x 500mg a day and it was a shock to my system it takes about 10 days for your system to get used to them . The ones I am on are not slow release , hardly notice now, the one thing I would say when its time to go to the toilet you get a very powerful urge to go so be prepared for that, and now I am on iron tablets that has calmed down also. I have lost 2 stone in 9 months and my last hb1c was 49 down from 63. Best of luck.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I sympathise when people cannot tolerate metformin. If you were only given metformin to lower your bg, rather than for weight loss, then a diet can quickly mimic metformin.
However I use metformin for hormonal and weight loss gain.
Go back to nurse and ask for slow release. Even taking one to two tablets helps me a great deal. I need 4 to lose weight. But I'm susceptible to diarrhea at certain times of my menstrual cycle so I reduce back to 2 tablets or one to restart after a bout of flare ups.
I'm on the slow release ones.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If it doesn't clear up over the next week, ask your DN for the Slow Release (SR) version

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
I will nhave to go back to see the Nurse, I just cant stand the side effects at all now...stopped taking it 2 days ago, still in pain, awful wind, metal taste in my mouth and worst of all had to change my ostomy system 7 times in 2 days! that is almost a third of my allowance stoma care stuff for a month gone in 2 days :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I will nhave to go back to see the Nurse, I just cant stand the side effects at all now...stopped taking it 2 days ago, still in pain, awful wind, metal taste in my mouth and worst of all had to change my ostomy system 7 times in 2 days! that is almost a third of my allowance stoma care stuff for a month gone in 2 days :(
Yes. Go back. I'm sure it will improve once out of your system.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Back to the doctor .... not to be mucked around with

OrlaDt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your pain. I got diagnosed with type 2 two weeks ago and metformin is killing me. I keep jokingly saying if cutting sugar out won't help me loose weight the amount of times I'm on the toilet certainly will. I spend around half the day on the toilet and the other half coiled up in pain but I've no choice but to take it as it's to bring my weight down. I hope you get sorted soon though.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Be careful in assuming Metformin (normal or slow release) is a "fix it" for weight loss. Far prefer alternate (food / diet) methods. No way on God's green would I put up with that. Not worth it

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I persevered for 11 weeks and then decided the side effects were just not worth the minimal benefit for me.
Slow release is said to be kinder and may be worth trying for you.
LCHF diet has proven much better for me.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I feel your pain. I got diagnosed with type 2 two weeks ago and metformin is killing me. I keep jokingly saying if cutting sugar out won't help me loose weight the amount of times I'm on the toilet certainly will. I spend around half the day on the toilet and the other half coiled up in pain but I've no choice but to take it as it's to bring my weight down. I hope you get sorted soon though.
How much are you taking?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I cannot tolerate sitagliptin, victoza, gliplizide and canagliflozin for various reasons. It happens sometimes @Sparkz :(

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
Spole to the GP, she advised taking a week off the meds and deciding next week what would be best for me, she actually said metformin/hot weather and an ileostomy is not a good mix :(

Reactions: daisyduck

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You do have a choice. It's your body and you don't have to put up with horrific side effects like that. See your GP and see if they can prescribe something kinder for you

Oscarbromley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on 500mg x 4 metformin a day and it got to the point where I was afraid to go far from the bathroom, docs then put me on the SR and it has improved a lot but not gone back to normal, think this is as good as it's gonna get

Reactions: ExChocoholic

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
Now been prescribed Gliclazide, no idea what dose/how often....saw the nurse this morning to discuss my meds and she said she would have to talk to my GP to decide which way to go....prescribed without telling me anything about side effects, drug interactions or anything...I am quickly losing confidence with my GP practise

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Now been prescribed Gliclazide, no idea what dose/how often....saw the nurse this morning to discuss my meds and she said she would have to talk to my GP to decide which way to go....prescribed without telling me anything about side effects, drug interactions or anything...I am quickly losing confidence with my GP practise
Don't lose confidence. At least they are listening to your side affects. I liked gliclazide for yrs on top of metformin. It helped my bgs throughout the day.

Sparkz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cold weather!
You do have a choice, go back to your GP and ask for a different medication...there are many you can try