metformin

rosdoc1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have been diet controlled type 2 for 3 years. just put onto metformin 500mg x 2 per day, 21st dec 2017. coping with many of the side effects but after about 5 days on meformin, I now have blurred vision. My practice nurse said it is probably caused by my high blood sugar levels. But seems a coincidence that after 5 days i now have blurred vision. have read on some websites, it is because my blood sugars have been so high for so long my eyes have adjusted, now on metformin it is bringing my sugars down and my eyes cannot cope with the drop in sugars, this was backed up by DRS nurse. Anyone else suffer from this and if so is it temp.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is temp, but get an eye test in a few weeks time if it is still going on, as you may need a revised glasses prescription.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No personal experience of this but I have read of the same thing several times on here. I've heard that it does stabilise and you are advised not to change glasses for a while

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your BG lower?
Metformin is not a BG lowering medication, it affects how your liver releases glucose so perhaps it can stop highs but it doesn't create lows.

Reactions: rosdoc1 and Mark_1

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can create lows unfortunately. Once I got my BS down to the 5's I was having constant hypos, I stopped my Metformin and I was fine.

rosdoc1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wakened this morning and first in 2 weeks feel my eyes are a bit clearer, got retinopathy appt Tues, hopefully the blurred vision is clearing,

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry to hear about your blurred vision I had some vision probs with blurring in early days but didn’t last long. As others have advised just don’t get new glasses until your bg readings are stable as diabetes def affects prescription - now I’m having low bg my prescription is very different to when they were high.

Reactions: rosdoc1

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do believe it has caused my left eye to blur as well.
I've lost 5 stone (down to 12 stone) and still continued to take 3 metformin a day.
Whilst on holiday in August I had the sulphur burps and 1night of sickness,I stopped the metformin and the next morning my left eye was much sharper ,stopped them for another day and again better sight.Other issue is my BS levels don't go above 6 after a meal and usually sit 4.5