Metformin

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi guys, recently started Metformin 5 days ago, just 1 tablet a day of 500 to work up to 4 a day in two months.

I've got awful wind and diarrhoea, I've read about this as a side effect on the leaflet but I'm just wondering if it passes eventually or if I need to be calling the GP to ask for an alternative.

I'm also on a shedload of antibiotics for a skin infection so I can't be sure if it's a combination of the two.

Thanks

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, recently started Metformin 5 days ago, just 1 tablet a day of 500 to work up to 4 a day in two months.

I've got awful wind and diarrhoea, I've read about this as a side effect on the leaflet but I'm just wondering if it passes eventually or if I need to be calling the GP to ask for an alternative.

I'm also on a shedload of antibiotics for a skin infection so I can't be sure if it's a combination of the two.

Thanks

Hiya, when I first started the tablets I had these symptoms for maybe like a week. I also completely lost my appetite...

After that the symptoms seemed to pass :)

Reactions: lcarter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
Wow poor.. you that combo must be quite unpleasant.. I had the metformin ***** when I first started on them so gave up after 3 weeks..

Edited by mod for poorly disguised profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffered with gastro symptoms for around a week to ten days at the beginning but tolerate it with no side effects now.