1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by kiraharris, Aug 12, 2021.

1. kiraharris

kiraharris Type 2 · Newbie

Good afternoon
    Does anyone else get a bottle of various makes of metformin each month
    Just as l get used to a make it changes ….3 different makes in the bottle this month!!

2. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My metformin comes in a separate packet with 4 foil packs of 14 pills in each I have never had a bottle of Metformin pills .Do yours come from a pharmacy ?
    Carol

3. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

When I was on it My pharmacy changed the make almost every month. Different manufacturers, pill sizes. But all 500mg SR Metformin. Basically whatever was cheapest I suspect

I never noticed a difference. My ex's codeine they changed every month too. But he did say certain brands even though identical in theory didn't always work the same

4. kiraharris

5. kiraharris

The metformin comes from the chemist…. Brown plastic bottle… says multiple manufacturers

6. Andydragon

Staff Member

That's, erm, interesting... Never seen any chemist do It that way before but have had decanted pills of other types delivered like that so it's not unheard of, but Not usually Metformin. Maybe it's new thing.

Given Metformin has usually been in blister packs maybe this is some new approach to reduce waste? Or more likely, save money

7. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've never heard of the liquid form? Mine is in a packet and the pills vary. Some are huge while others are long and thin, which are easiest ones to swallow for me

8. Andydragon

Staff Member

There is a liquid form, doesn't seem very often prescribed but I know what you mean about the sizing. The best I ever had was a small sized ones, didn't get them very often

But lucky I don't have a problem taking pills

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

In case of any problems, there should be a batch number on dispensed medication. If you have three different brands in one bottle how are the batch numbers included in the info on the bottle’s label? And how would anyone know which batch number applies to which of the three types of tablets?
    Can I just ask if you are in the UK, and are you getting your meds from a legitimate pharmacy?

10. JohhnyHachoo

JohhnyHachoo · Member

Before I was switched off of Metformin, I found every month I would get it from a different manufacturer.

11. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you struggle to swallow your pills you may find that taking them with a spoonful of yoghurt instead of water .It works for me
    Carol

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I had the same problem with one of my meds, so I asked my pharmacy (I always use the same one), to always dispense the long thin ones.
    It may also solve @kiraharris ’s problem as there may be less makes of the long thin type?

• Like Like x 1
  13. coby

coby Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Carty, I found a way around swallowing them (by accident). I find, if you place the tablet to the side of your mouth rather than the back of the tongue, it slips down almost unnoticed!!! :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I sometimes have to take Naproxen. They come as old school big round chalky tablets with no coating. Next time I will try your method or @carty 's yoghurt idea.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When I was taking Metformin they came in various brand name boxes, I never got them loose in bottle though.

Probably like cat food, it's all the same product just a different wrapper. :D

16. Covlocks

Covlocks · Active Member

Don’t know any U.K. pharmacy that is allowed to dispense individual pills in a bottle. All prescriptions must be supplied in sealed packets along with the appropriate leaflets, batch codes and dates.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook