Metformin

lilibet

Hi all

m in law is type 2 (had lots of 'fun' swapping diabetes stories over past days :? ).
Checked her tabs, as she is staying with us and ascertained she is on 300mg Metformin per day. Am not expert but is there not a limit on this?

She is not really able to take all the necessary stuff on board. Advice re dosage would be appreciated. She has gastric upset she puts down to a bug. Im more inclined to put it down to Metformin........

Any thoughts?

Ta

L

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
I think 3000mg is the maximum dosage for immediate release Metformin. As for the tummy grumbles, Metformin can cause them. Has your mother-in-law been on it for long? Tummy grumbles usually die down after a few weeks, though I have read that side effects persist if the dosage is > 2500mg/day.

There is a slow release version which should ease the side effects somewhat but the maximum dosage is smaller than that of the immediate release metformin.

Regards, Tubs.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As far as I know 3000mg is the maximum dose of Met, as Tubs said. Even that amount won't drop BG very much. It's helped by reducing carbs. It's good to stay with the Met if she can get aclimatised to it, because unlike most othe orals and insulin, it doesn't cause hypos or weight gain. there are a few people who either don't get ovet the "Tummy Grumblies" or cannot hang on until they do. They get put on other stuff, which has more side effects. It is worth persisting.