1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Midwifery and diabetes

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Katemcl, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Katemcl

Katemcl · Newbie

I’ve had type one diabetes for about 12 years now and I’m just finishing a psychology degree and really want to go into midwifery. However, everyone I speak to says it’s a bad idea because of the shift work? I’m absolutely heartbroken and so confused because I’ve never let my diabetes hold me back and I’d hate for it to ruin something I can see myself loving. I’d love any advice because I’m so stuck.

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you spoken to T1s about this? What's your dosing regime? (Pump or basal/bolus?) I can see that the stress associated with shift work might make your sugars go up but I don't really see why you shouldn't do it, particularly if you can qualify for some extra help such as a cgm so you can avoid hypos while in the middle of a delivery....

Googling "t1 diabetes shift work" suggests that there are plenty of people out there doing it successfully, but you do need to feel confident about managing your doses etc.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Katemcl

Katemcl · Newbie

Im not on the pump but my blood sugars are well controlled and I’ve just chosen to stay on the injection because it seems to work for me! But i’ll have a look in cgms and see if that makes it any easier!! Thank you

4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

In as few words as possible. Don't be put off, there will be a fair few T1s only too glad you wear the "Tee shirt." :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Katemcl - ask the Royal College of Mursing if there are any barriers. I do not think there are - and a T1 midwife could really help women at an emotional time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@Katemcl - I'm not T1, nor am I a midwife, but to be frank, I'd never make a decision based purely on what some other person said. I'm cussed like that.

Many T1 folks have commented on shift work, and the associated shift in eating patterns, and therefore some adjustments to insulin being required. Some T1s find that pumping can help them, as they can adjust their protocols for basal requirements on a programmed basis for their various shifts. I'm assuming you're talking earlies, lates and night shifts?

Of course, all that's very easy for me to say, but I'd urge you not to let T1 or anything else deflect you from your dream without a decent fight. You owe it to yourself. Good on you for having aspirations and ambitions, outside your current comfort zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

From a purely theoretical point of view, if you've got your basal right it shouldn't matter when you eat/work, as you just have your bolus whenever you eat...

There are a few jobs which really aren't suited to T1s (astronaut, army?) but there are certainly T1 doctors out there, and they must have to do shift work, even if only when they're qualifying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SimonCrox

SimonCrox · Well-Known Member

One of my patients was an ambulance driver on basal bolus. We kept a log of his shifts initially to show that he managed the job OK (which he did) and no hypos and then he just got on with it. The only special trick was to inject after rather than before food cos of the risk of injecting and then being called away from his food. A very dedicated guy.
    Good luck and best wishes

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook