Milestone hit (BMI)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the global pandemic helped me too. If it wasn't in place I would have had the usual standard (wrong) dietary advice from a diabetes nurse, would have followed that advice and got slowly worse.
As it was I was left alone and had to do my own research, found lchf, and wasn't allowed out to buy tempting things so did the cold turkey bit in just a few weeks lockeddown.
Its been fun seeing people I haven't seen for nearly a year. I am a different, 3 stone smaller, healthier person

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the global pandemic helped me too. If it wasn't in place I would have had the usual standard (wrong) dietary advice from a diabetes nurse, would have followed that advice and got slowly worse.
As it was I was left alone and had to do my own research, found lchf, and wasn't allowed out to buy tempting things so did the cold turkey bit in just a few weeks lockeddown.
Its been fun seeing people I haven't seen for nearly a year. I am a different, 3 stone smaller, healthier person
I’ve had a few poeople I work with comment, I think one word used was svelte which was nice

we just have to keep on the right path don’t we? Lifelong change is going to be difficult a times but I am getting to like how I look.

I do need to be wary that I don’t go too far. I think I’m fine, I have a few inches around my tum but unfortunately you can’t lose weight in just one place.

Reactions: MrsA2

frangelico

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So, at the start of lockdown I weighed 105kg, bmi of 32.4 and hba1c of 78. On the path to insulin

with combined lowering of carb/exercise and some calorie counting, this morning I weighed 80.2kg with BMI of 24.8 (so in the healthy range, just!) and my last hba1c was 39. I know BMI isn’t the be all and end all but it’s something I’m pleased about

fingerpricks averaging 5, no longer on Dapagliflozin or Bydureon and on the path to reducing or dropping metformin altogether

still a way to go, more weight loss (target of another 10kg) and gym planned but I just was so pleased about the BMI that I wanted to post and, again, highlight that it is possible. This forum has changed my life
Well done you have done incredibly well and have shown us that it can be done. Best wishes to you xx

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all good, weight still dropping just a bit slower

Still learning about the changes to my body though.
The saggy bits seem to be slowly going away, so that's nice, shall see what remains down the line for focussed gym effort

I also have realised I no longer have small bumps on my back that I've had for years, that was pleasing but totally didn't expect that

But also realised my rings don't fit, by quite a lot. Going back to the jewellers to see what can be done. Could be some serious rework needed, just hope he can do something. I never expected that to happen

So, lots of little things change but it's settling and it's good

Reactions: JFWinstone

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to have my wedding ring sized down I think 10 sizes.. the jeweller said he'd never seen such a change before.
It was just falling off my finger all the time before.
I have no idea what a size on a ring is, so couldn't even attempt to guess what mine has dropped by. But 10 sounds a lot. I was reading that changes of 2 is hard to do but if yours was changed by 10 sounds like it can be done. To be fair the jeweller did say anything is possible, I guess it's just what it costs!

I have a trio of 3 rings all of which are slipping off my finger. The one should he straight forward to reduce I think. The others have stones around so it will potentially make them offset wrong. Depends how much I've lost ring size wise

Taking to jewelers in new year. Well if we aren't in full lockdown and by then!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby and I picked up our resized rings today. Think it was just one or 2 sizes but still feels so good, and £30 a ring which I thought very reasonable as my engagement ring was specially made and has an unusual setting.
The resizing was our Christmas present to each other and I was pleased they were done before Christmas. We had to stand outside the jewellers as in Tier 4 they couldn't let us in so I was surprised they were working at all...but there seemed a steady string of men buying last minutes presents...

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, update to my update

As of today I weighed 72.8kg first thing this morning. Have been hovering around the 73kg for a little while now and think this is where I will probably stop. I want to tone up a bit but am starting to look a bit bonier than I like in my chest area. Although technically I could go lower, BMI is too blunt a tool and when I realised I was heading towards small in clothes sizes, kind of think it's a little too far. So need to carefully increase my intake to keep stability

Achievements:
  • 105kg to 72.8kg (32.2kg drop or 30.7% of my body weight). Just over 5st in old money
  • 32.4 BMI To 22.5 (obese to normal)
  • XXL to M
  • 17.5 collar to 15
  • 40w to 32w
  • 78 hba1c to 38
  • Down to only 1000mg Metformin, I suspect I could do zero but waiting till next hba1c
So, it's all changed. Thanks to the support you have all given, I now just need to settle into a holding pattern and hopefully the saggy bits will address themselves over time

Lifelong change, it's going to be challenging but I need to be here, so need to focus on that and keep going

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congratulations, Andydragon! Yours is a magnificent achievement. Chances are that you may find, as I did, that further reducing Metformin or giving it up altogether will make little difference to your HbA1c.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, Andydragon! Yours is a magnificent achievement. Chances are that you may find, as I did, that further reducing Metformin or giving it up altogether will make little difference to your HbA1c.
Dropping all of my meds so far has had minimal impact, I halved Metformin in the new year and I am still reading around 5 so I don't think removal will impact. I know it has some other impacts so might keep it going on a small dose

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Huge respect and congrats Andy theres lots of help and inspiration on this forum but you decided to follow it and made all the changes. Be very proud!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always made a lot of my own clothes, and I have been looking out the original designs and then unpicking and making smaller or reshaping so as to cope with having a waist, rewriting the patterns and putting them back into the archive. Some garments have been reduced in size several times now.

Reactions: MrsA2