Milestone hit (BMI)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, at the start of lockdown I weighed 105kg, bmi of 32.4 and hba1c of 78. On the path to insulin

with combined lowering of carb/exercise and some calorie counting, this morning I weighed 80.2kg with BMI of 24.8 (so in the healthy range, just!) and my last hba1c was 39. I know BMI isn’t the be all and end all but it’s something I’m pleased about

fingerpricks averaging 5, no longer on Dapagliflozin or Bydureon and on the path to reducing or dropping metformin altogether

still a way to go, more weight loss (target of another 10kg) and gym planned but I just was so pleased about the BMI that I wanted to post and, again, highlight that it is possible. This forum has changed my life

Reactions: Dudette1 and Mad76

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, at the start of lockdown I weighed 105kg, bmi of 32.4 and hba1c of 78. On the path to insulin

with combined lowering of carb/exercise and some calorie counting, this morning I weighed 80.2kg with BMI of 24.8 (so in the healthy range, just!) and my last hba1c was 39. I know BMI isn’t the be all and end all but it’s something I’m pleased about

fingerpricks averaging 5, no longer on Dapagliflozin or Bydureon and on the path to reducing or dropping metformin altogether

still a way to go, more weight loss (target of another 10kg) and gym planned but I just was so pleased about the BMI that I wanted to post and, again, highlight that it is possible. This forum has changed my life

Fantastic progress.

I do agree that BMI is a very blunt too, but I think for those of us who aren't doing extreme sports or building massive muscle mass, it's a decent indicator. It is also an easy thing to use when discussing with HCPs. They seem to buy it, big time.

Where will you additional 10kg take you on your BMI measure? The only thing I might say is to consider how that additional loss might or will impact on your skin and how you feel about yourself. I'm not suggesting your next steps are wrong; it's not my life or body, but just to have a look a the bigger picture, and maybe consider a much slower meander down, if you want to trim up some more. That could also be helpful when you want to find that balancing point of maintaining whatever your end weight is, without yo-yoing or dipping lower.

Onward and onward, with your next steps.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic progress.

I do agree that BMI is a very blunt too, but I think for those of us who aren't doing extreme sports or building massive muscle mass, it's a decent indicator. It is also an easy thing to use when discussing with HCPs. They seem to buy it, big time.

Where will you additional 10kg take you on your BMI measure? The only thing I might say is to consider how that additional loss might or will impact on your skin and how you feel about yourself. I'm not suggesting your next steps are wrong; it's not my life or body, but just to have a look a the bigger picture, and maybe consider a much slower meander down, if you want to trim up some more. That could also be helpful when you want to find that balancing point of maintaining whatever your end weight is, without yo-yoing or dipping lower.

Onward and onward, with your next steps.
Thanks for the reply. I know from other posts I have said about my skin, but I think actually it’s not as bad as I thought, I have a feeling that there is some fat left that with proper exercise and toning could be lost and would make me feel better

So I had an initial goal of 13st but that’s above healthy bmi and now I have surpassed that I want to do some more. So, new goal of 11stone which is the extra, a little over 10kg lost or 69.9kg aim. That would put the BMI at 21.5 or roughly half way in the “green” (I know the weight is arbitrary in a way but the round number of 11stone feels comfortable to me, I suspect partially due to my autistic traits)

I still have some wobbly bits to be blunt, and my aim is a flat stomach so can lose some more I believe. I also tend to carry my weight on my thighs so there is scope to drop.

It is possible when I start gym that it will change and I won’t need to lose as much

I’ve had some people like my family say, don’t lose more, you’ll look ill... well yeah, I am not going overboard and don’t want to go too far the other way, but I think my target is realistic. I hope they have my interests at heart but sometimes it feels like jealousy, does that sound bad?

Reactions: frangelico

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That's outstanding!

Not just the weight reduction and killer A1c level, but the elimination of the drugs is also a major thing. Well done.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Well done you are an inspiration :)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Andydragon, that is fantastic progress! Give yourself a big pat on the back and keep up the excellent work!

Reactions: frangelico

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had some people like my family say, don’t lose more, you’ll look ill... well yeah, I am not going overboard and don’t want to go too far the other way, but I think my target is realistic. I hope they have my interests at heart but sometimes it feels like jealousy, does that sound bad
No, it doesn't sound bad, it sounds truthful.
I had the same. The last time I weighed under 10.5 stone my big sis told me I was too bony and would be ill. I must have believed her. That was 26 years ago!!! My weight slowly increased ever since, as did the diabetes.
Now, when she tells me that this time I will tell her where to go, in no uncertain terms.

You may want to be more diplomatic with your family, but tis your body and your health and your business

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great stuff @Andydragon really well done!
Thanks so much. I always saw those pictures of before and after and never thought one day it would be me. I revisited pictures pre lockdown and it's amazing how far have com but not resting on my laurels.... 70% of the way there so well over the half way

Reactions: MrsA2

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to go @Andydragon fabulous results.
I started with a BMI in the 40's & am now on the borderline at 30.
Although I'm still classed obese I've had some huge improvements with blood sugar control.
I do think the wiggle room is greater for those of us who's insulin resistance is brought on by visceral fat rather than genetic disposition.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to go @Andydragon fabulous results.
I started with a BMI in the 40's & am now on the borderline at 30.
Although I'm still classed obese I've had some huge improvements with blood sugar control.
I do think the wiggle room is greater for those of us who's insulin resistance is brought on by visceral fat rather than genetic disposition.
Congratulations on your efforts also! Really well done

My father and my brother were both type 2. As was my grandfather so I think there is a genetic disposition for sure. However all of us also were on the larger size, so probably those 2 issues combined did trigger it in me at an earlier age

still slowly losing weight. Managed to get one day at gym prior to lockdown it shall see if that helps me tone up too as the weight loss has had some unfortunate side effects but I put up with that for the much improved blood control

Last edited:

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My father and my brother were both type 2. As was my grandfather so I think there is a genetic disposition for sure. However all of us also were on the larger size.

I know the new thinking has shifted towards hyperinsulin causing the initial weight gain in type 2's.
High insulin levels cause weight gain = visceral fat = insulin resistance = type 2.
It's now known it can take decades to progress.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are very pleased with yourself and so you should be - all your hard work has paid off - well done you!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are very pleased with yourself and so you should be - all your hard work has paid off - well done you!
Thank you so much
Weight is still dropping but now the gyms are closed lost the ability to start toning it all up which is a shame but hopefully all back open on the 2nd and can get back to work!
It’s a bit weird though, getting used to a new body. They don’t tell you that on the adverts. I keep finding bumps and then realising it’s my hips or ribs... sounds weird now I say it but I’m a little weird at times anyway :happy:

Reactions: mojo37

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a bit weird though, getting used to a new body. They don’t tell you that on the adverts. I keep finding bumps and then realising it’s my hips or ribs.
I'm the same :). My hips are so sharp! And sitting for a long time in a chair hurts as there's no padding there any more. I've had to have 3 links taken out of my watch strap, and I never thought my wrists were fat before. As for the cost of new clothes...:greedy:
But I wouldn't have it any other way

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the same :). My hips are so sharp! And sitting for a long time in a chair hurts as there's no padding there any more. I've had to have 3 links taken out of my watch strap, and I never thought my wrists were fat before. As for the cost of new clothes...:greedy:
But I wouldn't have it any other way
Yeah, I am trying to avoid buying new clothes until I’m closer to the target but can’t resist showing off a little. Just try and buy cheaper

I couldn’t work out why it was so uncomfortable driving to work when lockdown lifted until I realised that padding had gone and a little saggy unfortunately but that’s just one of those things, the overall change isn’t all perfect.

I have a plan to buy something nice when I hit my target (aiming for around 70kg) but depends when I feel comfortable and when I can go to the gym again that may change things

but we did it! I have such admiration for those who can now as it’s not easy, it’s a lifestyle change but it’s worth it

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I forgot, but suddenly I seem to have collar bones!
I don't have a weight loss target, still concentrating on bg. The rate of loss has slowed and bmi is now 23.1. Old clothes were simply falling off so new was a necessity (even hubby agreed!)
Its a fun journey this diabetes lark (never thought I'd say that back at the beginning though!)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And I forgot, but suddenly I seem to have collar bones!
I don't have a weight loss target, still concentrating on bg. The rate of loss has slowed and bmi is now 23.1. Old clothes were simply falling off so new was a necessity (even hubby agreed!)
Its a fun journey this diabetes lark (never thought I'd say that back at the beginning though!)
I just checked, I have collar bones too!
It is an interesting journey, decades of self denial that I could lose weight and a global pandemic later what do you know? Lost weight!