Milk and blood sugar spikes

Cellro

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been low-carbing since July and have lost over two stone and dropped 25 points on my HbA1C. Mostly I find it easy enough to stick to but a daily latte (decaff, semi skimmed made at home with Nespresso pods) really helps to get me through the day since I stopped snacking. Unfortunately, it does spike my glucose levels more than I’d like - even though it settles fairly quickly. Has anyone found a way to reduce this? I’ve tried switching to full-fat milk which made no difference, and wondering if lactose-free might help? Any suggestions very welcome as I’ve given up so much and a small latte is my only remaining treat!

Reactions: fumanchu

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Cellro husband has found that double cream plus one sweetener doesnt shift his BG at all. We already tried various kinds of milk and they were no good.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I use coconut milk in mine with a good dollop of cream for deliciousness. Just need to check the carbs on the coconut milk because some are sweetened.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been low-carbing since July and have lost over two stone and dropped 25 points on my HbA1C. Mostly I find it easy enough to stick to but a daily latte (decaff, semi skimmed made at home with Nespresso pods) really helps to get me through the day since I stopped snacking. Unfortunately, it does spike my glucose levels more than I’d like - even though it settles fairly quickly. Has anyone found a way to reduce this? I’ve tried switching to full-fat milk which made no difference, and wondering if lactose-free might help? Any suggestions very welcome as I’ve given up so much and a small latte is my only remaining treat!
I found the same thing. A small latte would see me up from 5.3 to 9.6 inside a few minutes on just the lactose in the milk (semi-skimmed has more carb than whole milk by volume). Back to start line by two hours, but like you I didn't want the added sugars.

Double cream in place of milk doesn't affect my levels at all. I also find that a bit of milk foam in a macchiato has no effect - presumably because there's next to no milk.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for cream.
I have coffee made from grounds and cream delivered by the milkman - you never really know what is in something concocted for you......

Reactions: andromache

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Double cream for me too! I have been caught out by a restaurant using squirty cream though. Massively high in sugar.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm guessing it is the lactose in the milk that's sending your sugars up. I'm lactose intolerant so all my dairy is lactose free. In the past I've had small regular milk in my tea and my bloods shot up to 11 mmol/l. Lactose free milk doesn't spike me.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I had the same problem, so I just drink black coffee, no sugar and I do not get any spikes

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Double cream for me too! I have been caught out by a restaurant using squirty cream though. Massively high in sugar.
And some use Elmlea, which is just messed about with veg oils yuk!.

Quite often now I take a little pot of my own cream

• Creative
Reactions: aylalake

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almond milk has the least carbs. Avoid oat milk - it is worse than whole milk!

Personally, i've slowly adjusted my tastes to black coffee.

Reactions: Gargoyletaz

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like fresh soy milk and have been making my own. I got a nifty little machine where I dump the beans and water, set an 8 hour delay timer and it grinds and boils it when soaked for 8 hours. Then I just need to strain it. I have it in my morning chia seed pudding and it has no impact on my blood sugar. It is hard to find nutritional values for this online, but I love the taste and that it doesn’t have any of the additional ingredients that store bought alternative milks have. I also like cows milk in my coffee - nicely foamed. I have been buying ultrafiltered milk which has a lot of protein and low carbs - also no lactose for those who need that.