Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you @Alexandra100

In the time I have been testing my blood glucose and tweaking my way of eating (over 5 years now, I think) my body and blood glucose reactions to foods have changed a great deal. Some for the worse, some for the better.
If anyone had told me back then how things would change, i would have been amazed. And i have learned something (am still learning) each step of the way.

The important thing is of course that i feel better now than I did then, in several ways.

How often do we say ‘we are all different’? And how often do people actually appreciate what that means?

Careful carb counting is very important for some of us.

Reactions: Mufflana

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not me, for sure.

Today I had 2 more mugs of tea with skimmed milk than normal, almost one after the other. Do I care? No. I needed them and I enjoyed them. It won't make an iota of difference to my BS health, but made a big difference to how I was feeling at the time.

I think some folk are allowing diabetes to rule their lives. It is one thing controlling this disease, but allowing it to control us is quite another in my opinion. Nutrition labels and other sources of carb counts are notoriously variable depending where you look. Things are rounded up and rounded down. Things are estimated. Things are guessed. The stress involved is possibly more of a BS riser than the odd gram of carbs, surely?

As far as I know, there aren't actually any rules on labels yet.
I think they're supposed to be within about 20%, give or take a gram or two or three or four, of the average batch made to the original recipe.
Calories have the same sort of mess.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still puzzled. Plain unsalted almonds have c. 9g carbs per 100g. I find 9 small almonds weigh about 10g. So just 9 small almonds give 0.9g carbs. How can an almond milk have less carbs than that? Do they just wave the almonds over the almond milk and take them away again?
Yes, I reckon the almonds just get a smell of the milk :wideyed: - the main ingredient is water so you'll not be getting too much in the way of nut "milk". And I believe (but I may be wrong) that if there is a very low level of carbs it's currently permitted that such insignificant numbers can be omitted from the nutritional info by the prodicers/manufacturers, which is why I'll never say I consume x number of carbs a day - I always allow for some carb "slop". But when I first started using Alpro unsweetend almond milk 4 years ago I remember finding a figure of 2g carbs per litre, though it now claims NIL per 100ml, though Almond Breeze does admit to 0.2g carbs per 100ml. Both are current figures from cartons in my fridge tonight.:D

Robbity

PS Mainly for @jcbman: The only time I ever really (checked rather than) counted carbs was when I was learning what foods I should avoid - other than the [obvious] suspects like sugary goodies and starchy ones like bread, potatoes, cereals, rice, pasta etc, which I'd already excluded soon after diagnosis and before I really started low carbing, So eating a ketogenic diet, I tried to keep below 20-25g carbs a day, and now I'm a bit more lenient with LCHF aiming to keep to under 50g a day. Both my body and my meter will tell me if I get things too wrong. And my figures are generally within the range I currently aim for, and if they're not it's more often due now to uncontrollable external influences (illness, pain, medication, severe stress, etc) rather than "sinful" eating. It does take a certain amount of knowledge and discipline - slow but steady is the name of my game, but maybe I am a little bit lucky too. Howevert I'm about where I want to be without too much hassle - and very little in the way of deprivation - diet wise.