milk versus cream

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks people. I will have to pass on the lactose free or other milks, I am struggling to buy enough food as it is, and my sons appetite comes first.

but some great ideas. I have been to Aldi to stock up before the Beast from the East hits - although it already been snowing here all day, just flurries so far, so I have got a small tub of double cream and will try it first thing tomorrow.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks people. I will have to pass on the lactose free or other milks, I am struggling to buy enough food as it is, and my sons appetite comes first.

but some great ideas. I have been to Aldi to stock up before the Beast from the East hits - although it already been snowing here all day, just flurries so far, so I have got a small tub of double cream and will try it first thing tomorrow.

Let us know how you go on.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd definitely go for the coffee and cream for breakfast then look at getting more low calorie protein from foods like eggs, cottage cheese, skinless chicken or turkey breast, prawns, shrimps. Google will give you lists of high protein low calories foods - you'll need to sift out any possible higher carb ones though.

Robbity

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another question. I have instant coffee made with boiled water. will the boiled water make the cream curdle? just getting ready for tomorrow : )

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another question. I have instant coffee made with boiled water. will the boiled water make the cream curdle? just getting ready for tomorrow : )
Nope.. at least I add cream to my coffee and just stir it in with a spoon no curdling ever.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make mine with boling water too. Sometimes my cream goes in first , sometimes after the boiling water. The only time I find it might curdle a little is if it's getting a bit elderly at tte end of the week and the end of the tub, but even them a good whizz with the spoon can often fix it.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I make mine with boiling water, and no curdling. I drop the cream in and stir.

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use soy or almond milk, unsweetened ones are higher in protein and nil in carbs. but also, reducing the carbs, even if it means less protein in the morning, mean you can have a couple bites more of cheese or anything else protein-y later in the day?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 1 - fasting bloods 7.6
before coffee and cream 8
just before lunch: 7.9
2 hours after lunch 8.5

so it's stopped the steady climb pre-lunch and I was able to skip breakfast. Now to try to think of a way to actually reduce my morning levels.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 1 - fasting bloods 7.6
before coffee and cream 8
just before lunch: 7.9
2 hours after lunch 8.5

so it's stopped the steady climb pre-lunch and I was able to skip breakfast. Now to try to think of a way to actually reduce my morning levels.

Glad to see that worked.

What are you before you go to bed? Is there a huge rise overnight?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to see that worked.

What are you before you go to bed? Is there a huge rise overnight?
My levels go down and down during the day, after eating lunch and its around 5.5 at bedtime.

before tea is around 6 and after 2 hours after tea around 7

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My levels go down and down during the day, after eating lunch and its around 5.5 at bedtime.

before tea is around 6 and after 2 hours after tea around 7

So, its a big rise overnight. It seems clear it is a good old liver dump, which will only improve significantly if you can get rid of any fatty liver and insulin resistance. It is those two things that cause it because when your liver dumps your insulin can't do its job. The insulin and other hormones are supposed to enter the liver and tell it to stop dumping whilst at the same time clearing the dumped glucose and returning you to normal levels. Many people have tried many things, but ridding yourself of fatty liver and IR is usually the only way. :arghh:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, its a big rise overnight. It seems clear it is a good old liver dump, which will only improve significantly if you can get rid of any fatty liver and insulin resistance. It is those two things that cause it because when your liver dumps your insulin can't do its job. The insulin and other hormones are supposed to enter the liver and tell it to stop dumping whilst at the same time clearing the dumped glucose and returning you to normal levels. Many people have tried many things, but ridding yourself of fatty liver and IR is usually the only way. :arghh:
and i suppose that means losing more weight. Which is painfully slow for me, about a pound a month. This is going to be a looooooooon haul : (

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No you don't necessarily have to lose more weight - just keep a firm control on your carbs and managing pre and (particularly) post meal levels, and then fasting levels will eventually come down. Mine stayed quite high for a fair time after i'd got my meal levels under control. The more fats and the less carbs you eat will (or should) level things out for you as your body will have to worry less about topping up with liver dumps or dietary carbs, and rely more on a steady, stable, long term suppy of fat for fuel instead. ( I didn't have to lose more weight for this to happen.)

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also add to what @Robbity said, and ask if you eat fruit? That is a major contributor to fatty liver.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use soy or almond milk, unsweetened ones are higher in protein and nil in carbs.
No, they seem to vary between just over 0.5g carbs per 100g and 2g carbs per 100g. This may sound trivial to you, but it is not nil. Almonds and soya beans both contain carbs, so a milk made from them must also contain carbs, although less because of all the water that has been added.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
about a pound a month
IMO that may seem frustratingly slow to you, but at that pace you will have a much better chance of keeping the weight off - forever! Think how many people boast about their huge weight losses, only to balloon shortly afterwards.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies for the slight hijack of your thread with this probably really daft question, @lucylocket61. but it kind of fits in and I can't seem to find the answer: for those who are doing intermittent fasting, surely a coffee with cream brings you out of the fast? Or if you are IF-ing, you don't have them? I must admit my coffees with cream in the morning are beginning to resemble cream with coffee and I'd like to give IF a go.