Milk?

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
I have been drinking 1% milk for years now, my doctor told me that I would be better off drinking whole milk.

has anyone else been told that?

Reactions: Freema

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
I live in a totally different country than yours and the UK and the clinical diabetes dieticians over here tell me to consume half fat milk and milk products of everything. They say full fat is no good for the reason that it has too much fat in it and the 1% milk goes through too much process during the making of it which is not good for the people with diabetes.

They say the best is to use the real fresh milk and skim it just after the boiling but, this is neither convenient nor practical for me so I use semi-skimmed all the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I cannot help you as I have not drunk milk for more than forty years, I do consume other dairy products though.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I have been drinking 1% milk for years now, my doctor told me that I would be better off drinking whole milk.

I don't like whole milk in tea but on a low carb diet you can have full cream milk and cream - good in coffee and cream great with berries !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that even full fat milk has too much lactose (sugar) in it, so I have given it up completely.

As I understand it, the lower the fat in milk, the higher the carbs (because by taking out 3% fat, you are filling the gap with 3% more non-fat, which has some sugar (lactose) in it.

But does a few % actually make that much difference? Some people say yes (your doc) and some people say no (me). I just don't use milk in tea or coffee or cooking. And no one who is low carbing needs to be drinking glasses of the stuff, or pouring pints of it onto their cereals, and if people are higher carbing, then a bit of milk isn't going to make a huge difference...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
a standard cup of any milk is over 10gm of carb.
I use cream in my coffee, but not much.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I haven't been told that but I swapped to full fat milk and find it preferable to skimmed or semi skimmed - both in taste and in its effect on my blood sugar.

Reactions: Struma

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Here in the UK we can get something called "lactofree" milk which has the lactose removed. It has about half the carbs of regular milk. I use the full fat version because I hate the "white water" that is semi or skimmed milk.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in the UK we can get something called "lactofree" milk which has the lactose removed. It has about half the carbs of regular milk. I use the full fat version because I hate the "white water" that is semi or skimmed milk.
Actually I don't think the lactose is removed but rather the lactase enzyme added?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I don't think the lactose is removed but rather the lactase enzyme added?

"Our dairy drink is made from regular cows’ milk which is filtered to remove half the lactose, the sugars naturally found in milk. An enzyme is then added to the milk to break down the remaining milk sugars which your body can easily absorb."

Looks like we were both half right..
That's from the Arla site which is the milk I get.. I never knew that was how it worked...
Thanks for making me go find out!

Reactions: Brunneria

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Our dairy drink is made from regular cows’ milk which is filtered to remove half the lactose, the sugars naturally found in milk. An enzyme is then added to the milk to break down the remaining milk sugars which your body can easily absorb."

Looks like we were both half right..
That's from the Arla site which is the milk I get.. I never knew that was how it worked...
Thanks for making me go find out!
Lol. And I didn't know it broke down the lactose in the milk itself but rather thought the added enzyme just helped us break it down.

Both half right and both learned a lesson!! Hmmm. Wondering how that would effect a lactose intolerant person if the lactose is broken down already. Scared to try. Dairy causes weight gain for me and I don't think it's just a lactose issue but could be?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. And I didn't know it broke down the lactose in the milk itself but rather thought the added enzyme just helped us break it down.

Both half right and both learned a lesson!! Hmmm. Wondering how that would effect a lactose intolerant person if the lactose is broken down already. Scared to try. Dairy causes weight gain for me and I don't think it's just a lactose issue but could be?

I'm afraid I have no idea.. I seem to be ok with dairy and when fasting dairy is my only carb intake. I have the lactofree milk in tea and double cream (HWC with more fat if in the US) in my coffee.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Almond milk has very few carbs - a good alternative

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Depends entirely on your diet, I don't low carb particularly, I calorie control, so I drink skimmed milk, and prefer the taste of it.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Arla 'whole' is about the same fat content as regular semi skimmed 3.6%.