1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Milk

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by viscountdriver, Jul 8, 2015.

1. kiwit2

kiwit2 Type 2 · Member

I use unsweetened almond milk.

2. smigger62

smigger62 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Water and some can derelict (seertner) for me with porridge

3. smigger62

smigger62 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's canderal...sorry

• Like Like x 2
  4. Des Gray

Des Gray Type 2 · Member

Hi, i am T2 my BL 4.5 - 9.5 before and after meals , I take only 1 x 250 glucovance,( metformin ) a day , Been drinking nearly 2 Lt. Full cream milk a day. I was thinking if stopped having milk, I could be diet only, it would be hard ,I love it after about 50 years, I am now 85 .

5. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have organic pasteurised unhomogenised whole milk from Abel & Cole although I drank skimmed for many years. I am going with my gut instinct (literally) and drinking less milk but more full fat yogurt, kefir, creme fraiche, double/single/clotted/sour cream and fromage frais. I had a nose on a website for lactose intolerant people and learned that the higher the fat content, the lower the lactose will be.

If I can get live helpful bacteria and keep my fat, calcium, protein intake the same/higher (also eating more spinach) then I'm not fussed about milk.

6. Ianmc1

Ianmc1 Type 2 · Member

I used to have IBS or I thought but now being diabetic and changing my diet it's more or less stopped

• Like Like x 2
  7. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Per 100ml the carb content doesn't really vary by much whether the milk is skimmed, semi skimmed or full fat. They certainly don't add sugar to it .
    Milk Protein Fat Carbohydrate Calcium Calories
    Whole 3.4g 4.0g 4.7g (lactose) 122mg 68kcal
    Semi-skimmed 3.6g 1.8g 4.8g (lactose) 124mg 47kcal
    Skimmed 3.6g 0.3g 4.9g (lactose) 129mg 35kcal
    source http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intpageid=327
    Skimmed milk is slightly higher in calcium (because that is in the non fat, watery bit) but much lower in vitamin A than full fat

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sirmione

Sirmione Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The Lactose in milk is a sugar but it isn't like glucose, fructose or sucrose which affect everyones blood glucose level.

Disaccharides like lactose are quite large molecules, they are not absorbed by the small intestine. For lactose to be absorbed, it must be broken down into simpler sugars called monosaccharides. In order to do this, the body produces an enzyme called lactase in the small intestine.

Not every adult person produces Lactase to break down the lactose in milk into simpler sugars, For people of norther European stock and other areas where dairy products have been a major element of the diet for thousands of years about 30% of the population don't break down down lactose.
    For those who have genes from other parts of the world where milk is not traditionally consumed the statatistics are reversed an 70% of those population don't break down lactose.

• Like Like x 2
    #28 Sirmione, Sep 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
  9. Kyi

Kyi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Where does it say porridge has to be made with milk? Ive often made porridge with water and salt not sugar. Along the same theme I got bored with porridge tasting the same day in day out so I started experimenting with other liquids. Flavoured teas are one of my best so far. Make the tea up leave it to go cold and cook the porridge with it the next day. There are tons of different flavours you can add to porridge without adding the sugar and milk.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BeccyB

BeccyB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

11. Sirmione

That won't change the fact that porridge is oats and oats are cereals which are Carbohydrate and top the must avoid list for some.

• Like Like x 2
    #31 Sirmione, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  12. mikej1973

mikej1973 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Skimmed milk is fine for me. As us porridge. I use instant cuppa porridge with maple syrup. It's a small portion but just right for breakfast

13. Kyi

Kyi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can eat porridge and still be under 20grams of carbs for the day

14. Sirmione

Kyi where did you find the nutritional information you are using. Simple fact is without milk a normal 40g serving of Quaker Scott's Porridge contains 24g of Carbohydrate (excludes fibre content).
    By way of comparison with other breakfast cereals two Wheetabix biscuit weigh 36g of which 26g is Carbohydrate.
    For Cornflakes the carbohydrate numbers are only very slightly worse 34g of Kellogs Cornflakes contain 28g of Carbohydrate.

15. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Not everyone has to avoid porridge and/or cereal - I have hot oat cereal and oatmeal with whole milk and flaxseed for breakfast during the week and it does not spike my BS. I can also eat branflakes with almonds, hazelnuts and, if available, blueberries with either whole milk or cream. We all react differently so the only sure way to be certain is to test.

• Like Like x 2
    #35 Daphne917, Oct 1, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  16. Barry Holt

Barry Holt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I should be so lucky haha

17. stone2015

stone2015 Type 2 · Newbie

i am not a fan of porridge and i have stopped taking tea/coffee with milk. i use ginger instead!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I know i guess we're all different as to what we can/cannot eat. I haven't been brave enough to have some pizza yet and a wrap still increases my BS to anything between 9 and 12 so they're still off the menu!

19. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Daphne, have you tested your BG 2, 3, and 4 hrs after porridge? It may not spike your BG so high, but still have the same effect overall. So many people have trouble with any grains, even the non-gluten ones.

20. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

@Bluetit1802
    How much sugar is added to skimmed/semi skimmed milk?
    What type of sugar is added?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook