Minimed 640g Insulin Flow Blockage Repeatedly

adamtran1

Hi. Today I have changed my cannula / set about 5 times so just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue / could suggest anything. I'll start at the beginning...

My first 2 Cannulas failed today and when I took them out they were bent. This may have been a site issue due to scarring as I was using my love handles which I've been using for a while.

So I changed my cannula for a 3rd and 4th time relocating to my stomach which I haven't used much in the last 9 months due to being pregnant. Pump told me again that it was blocked.

Each of the error messages have occurred when I have bolused for food. During just having my basals my pump hadn't sent me any error messages and my sugar had been ok today - not stupidly high like I would expect if I had not got any basal insulin.

Phoned Medtronic for help and spoke to someone in America who ran some 'tests' eg asking me to put some insulin through the tubing and see if it comes out etc, which it did. Basically told me to see the doctor to get my sites checked and that was pretty much it.

Luckily managed to contact my DSN so will be going to see her tomorrow but any advice / experiences are welcomed!

Edited by Mod to remove advertising link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @adamtran1 I have the 640g but have only had one blockage which was cleared after running insulin through the tubing. My thought's the same, that it's your injection sites as the tubing generally doesn't cause issues. Out of interest what infusion set are you using ? and have you got an alternative to try ?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Perhaps try a different type of infusion set and see if that helps.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There was a thread not too long ago where someone else had similar issues. Let me try and find it.

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when u put in your cannula is the tube to your pump free or is it bent at the top (kinda folded over??) that might help I find if I put my pump upright on my bra the tube folds over and the flow is reduced but if I put it upside down the tube doesn't get kinked ... am I making sense?? When I was pregnant I had to use the infusion sets that went in at an angle the quick sets and the Mios kept failing oh and I used my bump all the time for both infusion sets and my cgm

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I use the sure t's now - steel cannulas, haven't had any issues at all in 3 months with these, also very secure when attached to your skin, have had pump swinging off them before no issues !

AnnaCollis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Today I have changed my cannula / set about 5 times so just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue / could suggest anything. I'll start at the beginning...

My first 2 Cannulas failed today and when I took them out they were bent. This may have been a site issue due to scarring as I was using my love handles which I've been using for a while.

So I changed my cannula for a 3rd and 4th time relocating to my stomach which I haven't used much in the last 9 months due to being pregnant. Pump told me again that it was blocked.

Each of the error messages have occurred when I have bolused for food. During just having my basals my pump hadn't sent me any error messages and my sugar had been ok today - not stupidly high like I would expect if I had not got any basal insulin.

Phoned Medtronic for help and spoke to someone in America who ran some 'tests' eg asking me to put some insulin through the tubing and see if it comes out etc, which it did. Basically told me to see the doctor to get my sites checked and that was pretty much it.

Luckily managed to contact my DSN so will be going to see her tomorrow but any advice / experiences are welcomed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free ringtones, free download ringtones, samsung ringtones
I also have the same problem with my Minimed 640, and regularly get this message on the pump.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try different sets.. prefarbly steel ones...

Vanheo

Heya @adamtran1 I have the 640g but have only had one blockage which was cleared after running insulin through the tubing. My thought's the same, that it's your injection sites as the tubing generally doesn't cause issues. Out of interest what infusion set are you using ? and have you got an alternative to try ?
Why don't you try listening to ringtones to relax? I think it will work