Misdiagnosis?

popps

Hello all,

I've just received my latest A1C result - the first I've had in a year (got into trouble with the nurse for that). It's 5.2. My first was 5.1, second 5.2 and third 5.0, so all very consistent. I'm not on any medication. At the time of diagnosis I was just above the borderline (7.1 test - not A1C) but at the time I had very bad gingivitis. Ever since I sorted this out my blood sugar levels have been in the figures described above and I wonder whether there is a ink. I've read that gum disease can elevate blood sugar levels and I wonder if my initial diagnosis was caused by this.

I'm not in any sort of denial, in fact the diagnosis has resulted in me positively changing my lifestyle in terms of exercise and diet and I intend to persist with this, but I'm just curious whether initial diagnoses are 100% accurate.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Popps.
I would have hoped that your initial diagnosis was based on 2 tests, usually GTT tests ? That is what should happen.....not just from one reading.

As to if it was wrong or not.....the $64,000 question......who knows ?

If you are a Diabetic then you are a well controlled one...... :D

popps

Hi Cuglia,

There were two tests - 7.0 and 7.1. Is there some definitive test that can be taken to say yes or no? In terms of well controlled, it's one of the best things that could have happened to me. Rigorous execise with personal trainer, weights, cardio ... whereas before I was just sitting in the office all day, coming home to the pub, then watching TV. Weight has dropped from 10 stone 7 to 9 stone 6 (I'm 5 foot four) so I aim to keep this up regardless.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Were the two tests you had blood tests (fasting blood glucose level) ? If that was so then according to the WHO (World Health Organisation) criteria because you had levels of 7 and 7.1 then you would have been confirmed as a Diabetic. That would be the case even if the OGTT test was less than 11.1 mmol/l. Either method can be used for diagnosis.

Commonly the diagnosis is made using fasting plasma glucose levels. The person having the test should fast for 8–14 hours before the test is carried out so is usually done in the morning. A fasting plasma glucose greater than or equal to 7.0 mmol/l is abnormal. That would indicate Diabetes. When there is uncertainty an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) is used.

If you still not sure then this is something you really need to discuss with your GP.

popps

Yep, it was a fasting test with results of 7 and 7.1 but I seem to have been caught early and have benefited from lifestyle changes. I'm still not sure whether the gum disease triggered the high blood sugar levels. Maybe I should try another fasting test and see what the reading is now?