Miss eating what I like

S

serenity648

I do miss certain foods, Not going to pretend i dont. Bit it is getting easier to forget about them for days on end. A bit like stopping smoking. To begin with i was thinking about it all the time, then after a while, I only remembered sometimes.

I havent tried to find substitutes for most of my favourite carbs, I am trying to approach food as if i had moved to another continent, where my eating has to fit in with what is available locally, so i learn a whole new way of eating.

But there is no denying the occasional mashed potato with butter and cream craving occurs.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
may I ask why you have to cut down your dairy? have you got an intolerance? Hugs.
Yes. I have been to a naturopath and it's one of the many things she suggested. I have cut down alot but I still need to take the plunge and go without it altogether for 8 weeks or so. It's taken me a long time to face up to it, cheese has been my 'go to' food when I am hungry for the past 5 years or so. I am allowed goat's cheese in moderation ( and I can only face that in moderation anyway!) I have to rethink the whole LCHF thing for a while, and it's shaken me a little.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
And I suppose that's with you all the time, not just for 'naughty treats' ? So you have to plan every meal? I hadn't thought of T1 in those terms before, just the planning ahead for say, an ice-cream etc.

Just about all the time @zand

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I have been to a naturopath and it's one of the many things she suggested. I have cut down alot but I still need to take the plunge and go without it altogether for 8 weeks or so. It's taken me a long time to face up to it, cheese has been my 'go to' food when I am hungry for the past 5 years or so. I am allowed goat's cheese in moderation ( and I can only face that in moderation anyway!) I have to rethink the whole LCHF thing for a while, and it's shaken me a little.
Make sure your naturopath has some scientific basis for the advice as it could cause your diabetes management to get worse if you don't have enough fat and protein

Reactions: Robbity and zand

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the hardest thing is going on days out, we do that a lot, and not being able to dive into cafes or bars for quick snacks, lunch etc.
Salads are often dire and the other options are baguettes, toasties, jackets, chips etc.
I think my wife is sick of me saying "no we can't go there" as i reach for a Lidl roll and some nuts.
I tend to take my own snacks and lunch now but in some cases this isn't possible or practical eg corporate hospitality.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make sure your naturopath has some scientific basis for the advice as it could cause your diabetes management to get worse if you don't have enough fat and protein
I have read around the subject and what she says makes alot of sense. I desperately need to lose more weight, but it has taken me a long time to accept that this is what I need to do (at least for 8 weeks). I have been putting it off for a few months (for one reason or another) , but it has to be worth a try. Thanks, I'll be careful, particularly with fat.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have read around the subject and what she says makes alot of sense. I desperately need to lose more weight, but it has taken me a long time to accept that this is what I need to do (at least for 8 weeks). I have been putting it off for a few months (for one reason or another) , but it has to be worth a try. Thanks, I'll be careful, particularly with fat.
I found that quitting dairy helped reduce inflammation that I didn't even know I had. My fingers changed overnight and my bg went a bit lower in general. All the best, Zand. As you say, worth a try.

D

Deleted member 308541

but I will admit that I do does anyone else feel that way now you have to watch what you eat and if so what foods do you miss the most
I have the eating potatoes sorted out with low carb spuds that we can buy here.

Bread I have cut back on from 10 slices a day down to 2, this is hard as I have always eaten bread with my meals.

I really miss rice and pasta, and I will not stoop low enough to use ersatz replacements like zucchini or cauliflower as substitutes that taste like ****.

I have never been a fan of pizza unless it was homemade, I miss a nice meat pie one of my all time favourite snacks.

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi i am type 1 for over 30 years have made few attempts low carb but it's just not working like you i miss all the food i use to eat and keep going back to them when i go for my check up i always have the best blood sugar reading's which are always on the low side i would like to lose few pounds although not a very big eater I like plain and simply I need more will power to help me change any ideas would be very appreciated.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you tried LIDL´s protein rolls , I think they taste fantastic... and they still are bread
you can eat berries I guess in smaller amounts
Yes I have tried them because my husband has them he likes them I think they are horrible I can't stand seedy bread

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the hardest thing is going on days out, we do that a lot, and not being able to dive into cafes or bars for quick snacks, lunch etc.
Salads are often dire and the other options are baguettes, toasties, jackets, chips etc.
I think my wife is sick of me saying "no we can't go there" as i reach for a Lidl roll and some nuts.
I tend to take my own snacks and lunch now but in some cases this isn't possible or practical eg corporate hospitality.
Yes I would love to be able to do that when out and just pop in somewhere for a coffee and a baguette or a jacket potato.

Last edited: