1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Miss eating what I like

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Pinkorchid, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people on this forum who are doing low carb and higher fat say they do not miss their former way of eating but I will admit that I do does anyone else feel that way now you have to watch what you eat and if so what foods do you miss the most
    For 76 years I could eat whatever I liked now because of T2 I have been robbed of that pleasure. I was lucky as I had always been one of those people who could eat anything and never put on weight and all my adult life I have always been a size 10/12 so never needed to diet. Now after all those years I have to restrict what I eat and I do find that difficult when there is no substitute for some of the foods I enjoyed. For some dishes it has to be the real thing or nothing at all like cottage pie and fish pie with real mashed potato, and there is no substitute for the jacket potatoes I used to love to have for my lunch .Imagine summer pudding without the bread and I really miss wholemeal toast and crumpets for breakfast and all the varieties of fruit that I used to eat

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

It differs from day to day and i have found acceptable alternatives for most things but I always miss porridge and Morrison's Tiger Bread.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

If I said I don't miss some foods, you would call me a liar, and rightly so.
    But having not had certain foods for some time now, I don't as such miss them. I would like to try but I just don't crave food, not hungry!
    I eat when I feel like eating and not much.

I've just had gammon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes!

Why would I miss food?

Chip buttie! Oh my god, don't let me think about it, please!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Not really. I had a bit of pineapple envy earlier today, but am ok now.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I like to tell myself at age 72 that most of my life I have had a bad carb-oriented Western diet and now finally I'm being 'forced' to eat more sensibly and as a result healthier.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I think I miss stone fruit the most. Cheeries, peaches, apricots, plums, they where a handy snack on the go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. kesun

kesun Other · Well-Known Member

I miss the bland food, the vehicle, the filler - rice, porridge, bread, pie crust, Yorkshire pudding, all those things that give background to all the fierce-tasting fats and proteins that are now the whole of my diet. I feel a bit as if my food's shouting at me without the stodgy carbs to muffle it and mop up its excessive flavours.

I also miss the convenience of bread when I'm hungry and want something quick to eat.

Kate

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do miss fruit, I used to eat loads.

9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I would miss bread terribly, but Lidl rolls have filled that gap. Bread was always my downfall. I also miss hubby's homemade meat and potato pies, but we have one on Christmas Eve as a treat.

• Like Like x 2
  10. wiseowl_123

wiseowl_123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon @Pinkorchid and all my other friends,I am pretty lucky really,I love all fish yellow haddock,salmon.sardins on toast(wholemeal)everything grilled or boiled, all vegitables seafood,porridge,skinless chicken,apples,,raspberries,blueberries,and I still have a small roast dinner:)

,I don't miss all processed foods,Sugar,chocolate, cakes,chinese takeaways,KFC,fish and chips,Mcdonalds,and pastry,what I would miss is my grandchildren if I didnt stay away from rubbish food;)

But custard Doughnuts when I walk pass them in tescos in those bright orange bags:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It's fine being honest. It does depend on the condition of your diabetes. I have 35 grams of porridge with my berries and nuts 2 or 3 times a week. My lovely wife reduces my portions of basmati rice or I have 1 or 2 small pots if I feel like it. As a treat my wife makes pies perhaps every 2 months with half wholemeal flour. On all of these carb scenarios I make these part of my carb allowance and ensure I exercise.

Have you tried occasional deviations using almond or coconut flour. For rice, look up on youtube how to minimise the starch using coconut oil and placing in the fridge for 12 hours. It is difficult in my tradition I miss, yams, green bananna, rice and peas - it is a cruel trick that these types of foods are in the carb bracket.

12. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

have you tried LIDL´s protein rolls , I think they taste fantastic... and they still are bread
    you can eat berries I guess in smaller amounts

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I've been trying to lose weight since my early 20s and through the years there have been lots of things I miss. I have now been advised to drastically cut down the amount of dairy I eat and that is going to be so hard for me, but I would try anything to lose weight, so this is just another step along the way.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I miss milk shakes, since you mention dairy!
    The only thing I would put anywhere near my mouth from muckies!
    Because of my lactose intolerance, I would have a slurp of banana flavour as a treat and the wife would finish it off!
    I beginning to dislike this thread!

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I've never really had a sweet tooth so being diagnosed with diabetes didn't really change much, providing I keep the portion sizes (carb portions) down I can eat most foods within reason.

Speaking as a type 1 there is something I do miss when it comes to food..........that is the spontaneity of eating, how it would be great to just eat and not have to plan ahead (such as working out the carb content and pre-bolusing) :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am very fortunate, I can eat a wider variety of food now.

But I have mentally lost my appetite for it.

I always pass on the free donuts in screwfix, I don't go mad with the pizza and fish and chips, I only had one Festive Bake at Greggs for old times sake this year.
    In fact my appetite is way less, I tend to look at the family size pizza, or quiche, and eat just a couple of slices, rather than regard it simply as a starter.
    I cook a pan of food, and find it's three or four meals now.
    My freezer is full of stuff I buy from the reduced section, thinking 'I'll eat that', then realising I won't anymore.

I'm not saying I don't feel hungry, my brain just kicks in, and shouts 'stop' louder than my stomach shouts' no'.

17. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

And I suppose that's with you all the time, not just for 'naughty treats' ? So you have to plan every meal? I hadn't thought of T1 in those terms before, just the planning ahead for say, an ice-cream etc.

18. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

may I ask why you have to cut down your dairy? have you got an intolerance? Hugs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hi Zand, if you would like me to put you off dairy for life, just holler ;) x

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

ummm, maybe later.....I'll let you know....:wideyed:

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook