Mixed meal test

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I had a mixed meal test today. Wondered if the results below indicate reactive hypoglycaemia (which is suspected and I have already changed my diet). They are sending some blood to the lab, but say it may not be tested as I only went down to 3.6, not 3.5!
@ 0 hours fasted before ensure 5.3
@ 1.5 hours BS of around 10
@2.5 hours BS of around 6/7
@3.5 hours BS of 4.3
@4 hours BS of 3.7
@5 hours BS of 3.6
For the last 1.5 hours of the test I had hypos symptoms. After drinking the ensure I was very sleepy.
Thanks! Could be months before get the follow up endo appointment.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, I had a mixed meal test today. Wondered if the results below indicate reactive hypoglycaemia (which is suspected and I have already changed my diet). They are sending some blood to the lab, but say it may not be tested as I only went down to 3.6, not 3.5!
@ 0 hours fasted before ensure 5.3
@ 1.5 hours BS of around 10
@2.5 hours BS of around 6/7
@3.5 hours BS of 4.3
@4 hours BS of 3.7
@5 hours BS of 3.6
For the last 1.5 hours of the test I had hypos symptoms. After drinking the ensure I was very sleepy.
Thanks! Could be months before get the follow up endo appointment.
First glance, you are not diabetic 5.3 is in normal levels.
Next, no 30 minutes reading?
Next the 10 around one and a half hours. I would think that might be after the peak, the tip of the spike is usually before this. Mine is usually 40-50 minutes. Yours may be a bit later. But don't believe so. If you know, it's not that late, you would know what I'm hinting at. It would be a higher level, possibly abnormal, similar to mine.
If I remember my spike was around 13mmols on the hour.
Next the lows that are not quite hypos. Depending on the accuracy of the glucometer, it still could have been lower that the 3.5(ish) for both. The hypo symptoms are hopefully noted. And it is understandable that you had them from the drop of BG levels to that low.
I would are that, if you didn't eat straight after the last readings, it would be interesting wether you went lower or your BG recovered natrually.

Overall I do see your results as not hugely abnormal, but that is my opinion and my experience from my tests.
Wether it is RH, it could be many conditions. I'm not allowed to say, but it is only the first test in a number that are needed for diagnosis.
But it's worth a follow up.

If you get a very quick hyper, depending on your own individual metabolism, above a certain level, you get those symptoms which may include drowsiness, similar to the sudden drop in levels, referred to as a sugar crash. And some feel drowsy, were you hot during the test?
I know I was.
Do keep us updated.
Best wishes.

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I felt really drowsy in the test, and hot and sweaty.
The nurse didn’t tell me what the other readings were. I had the same test 6 months ago, it got aborted due to not getting the blood samples in time. When I had that test I did go up to 13mmol.
Regardless about if 3.6 mmol is a full hypo, I still felt unwell and not able to function/ drive etc.
Thank you for your help and back to the NHS waiting game!

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I felt really drowsy in the test, and hot and sweaty.
The nurse didn’t tell me what the other readings were. I had the same test 6 months ago, it got aborted due to not getting the blood samples in time. When I had that test I did go up to 13mmol.
Regardless about if 3.6 mmol is a full hypo, I still felt unwell and not able to function/ drive etc.
So any more do as I did and write down, I asked the sister when she took readings.
I know what they are like, these tests.
Let us know how you get on.