Mmol/l at time of being diagnosed,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had some pasta for dinner and I'm now back up to to 14.7 - I'm definitely starting to see a pattern with when I eat carbs!!

Potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, porridge and cereals, anything containing flour. All culprits. Then there are beans and legumes, peas, carrots, and all things starchy. This isn't to say don't try them out with your meter, but do listen to your meter and use it to adapt - a smaller portion might be OK, it may not. Trial and error and why it is helpful to keep a food diary including portion sizes.

Reactions: Dizzylish78

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi @Dizzylish78. I totally agree with @Bluetit1802 - you need to test before and after to see how much the blood sugar is rising. Don't stick rigidly to the nurse's advice on when to test your blood sugar; many in the NHS are following unwritten guidelines not to issue meters and strips to readily...especially those less than up to top speed (however well-meaning). I tested between 8 and 12 times a day for the first couple of weeks to see what my patterns were. Now, that is a lot, but I wanted to be sure of the impact of certain foods and certain meds I was on following a transplant. It was only by doing so that I got a clear and very individual picture..and identified one particular drug causing a serious spike (since greatly reduced). It also helps to not the times as well as the levels. Keeping a record is what will let you see for yourself what the patterns are. Keep up with the low carbing it is the way to go.

Dizzylish78

Hi @Dizzylish78. I totally agree with @Bluetit1802 - you need to test before and after to see how much the blood sugar is rising. Don't stick rigidly to the nurse's advice on when to test your blood sugar; many in the NHS are following unwritten guidelines not to issue meters and strips to readily...especially those less than up to top speed (however well-meaning). I tested between 8 and 12 times a day for the first couple of weeks to see what my patterns were. Now, that is a lot, but I wanted to be sure of the impact of certain foods and certain meds I was on following a transplant. It was only by doing so that I got a clear and very individual picture..and identified one particular drug causing a serious spike (since greatly reduced). It also helps to not the times as well as the levels. Keeping a record is what will let you see for yourself what the patterns are. Keep up with the low carbing it is the way to go.

Yes I've noticed that whenever I eat carbs my levels go up, so I'm definitely having no or little carbs from now on. I've been testing before and after meals and noting the times and this is giving me a good idea of the foods I should be eating. I'm now feeling quite optimistic that I'll be able to get it under control - this is also down to advise from you guys, so thanks very much.

Kenners

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
This is my 4th day since being diagnosed I am in ketosis and my mmol/l is 8.2.
When I first found out my mmol/l was 11.

Just wondered what your level was when you first got diagnosed and how long it too you to see any results

Got diagnosed T2 10 days ago...fasting blood test result was 17, HbA1c 101. Took a blood test today, 2 hrs after a meal...21.2

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Just wondered what your level was when you first got diagnosed and how long it too you to see any results

I was diagnosed just over two weeks ago. My bs was 28! I am now pretty consistent at 5.5 after cutting out all the carbs and sugar in my diet - of which there were enough to keep a small village alive! I have gone from probably over 500mg carbs a day to under 50. :)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I was diagnosed just over two weeks ago. My bs was 28! I am now pretty consistent at 5.5 after cutting out all the carbs and sugar in my diet - of which there were enough to keep a small village alive! I have gone from probably over 500mg carbs a day to under 50. :)

That's pretty quick. Well done.

Allessandra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's pretty quick. Well done.
Thanks. It was a huge wake up call. It's only taken a few decades of acting like every day is my birthday to grow up and understand that the consequences could be more serious than just adding weight along the way. I have come to the conclusion that Diabetes may actually save my life. I have been one of those people who works 12 hour days 7 days a week - I never had the energy or time to make meals so would inevitably buy take aways or have a jam sandwich for dinner. Silly. Onwards and upwards though.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Thanks. It was a huge wake up call. It's only taken a few decades of acting like every day is my birthday to grow up and understand that the consequences could be more serious than just adding weight along the way. I have come to the conclusion that Diabetes may actually save my life. I have been one of those people who works 12 hour days 7 days a week - I never had the energy or time to make meals so would inevitably buy take aways or have a jam sandwich for dinner. Silly. Onwards and upwards though.

I like the idea of every day being your birthday...just stick the candles in an avocado. :)

Beth_hill02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Keto acidosis sucks. Great to hear you're on the recovery. I was diagnosed about a month ago also in da and diabetic coma. Good to hear that you're in the same boat as me. It feels so lonely when you personally don't know anyone who is dealing with what you're dealing with.

Reactions: Prem51

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed in 2002, my blood sugar read as 32mmol and I was in and out of a coma! It's actually how I got diagnosed - being that sick :(

I remember my pulse being so incredibly high they said it was a new record for their hospital and I had doctors and nurses come look at the screen - didn't make me feel too good!

A year later I was in hospital again twice for ketoacidosis :(

Reactions: grante

ralu

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi!
Im only new here, and I'm still learning but I wll share some of my tips (let say so :))
I was diagnosed 3 months ago with a 7.1 mmol (54 IFCC) and managed to drop it to 6.0 which is 42 IFCC mmol in the past 3 months following a very low carb diet (no more of 30 carbs per day). I've lost a bit of weight as well.
I didnt touch any type of bread apart from the Lidl protein bread (will have one per day) and tried to follow a mediteraneean diet (I've read Michael Mosley mediteraneean diet book) . I couldnt follow his 8 weeks diet as it is too strict but I cut all the pasta, rice, breads, cousous. I had eggs, yogurts, vegetables. Need to be carefull as some starchy vegetable have a higher intake of carbs also be carefull about some fruits. Berries and strwberies are good. The fruit yogurts even if they are diet, are quite high in sugar and carbs.
It is not easy . We need to find foods that we like and are permited.
Hope it helps.
Raluca

Reactions: Prem51

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Yes I had some pasta for dinner and I'm now back up to to 14.7 - I'm definitely starting to see a pattern with when I eat carbs!!
IT's not just how high the bgl is so much as how many points it has raised. A jump from 12 to 14 is not as concerning as a jump from 8 to 14. These are indicators of serious problems in the diet whuch need ti be adressed.

Reactions: grante

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Nice one! I woke up in hospital after being told my glucose levels were unreadable on a glucose meter. Stay away from the carbs, they will do you no good!

Reactions: ShyLily

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Keto acidosis sucks. Great to hear you're on the recovery. I was diagnosed about a month ago also in da and diabetic coma. Good to hear that you're in the same boat as me. It feels so lonely when you personally don't know anyone who is dealing with what you're dealing with.
Welcome to the forum @Beth_hill02, congratulations on your recovery. I lived through hyperasmolar non ketotic coma when I was first diagnosed so I know what it's like.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at the beginning of July. On the 2n July my fasting BG was 10.8 and my A1c was 76. I had another fasting BG on the 19th July and it was 6.6. I'm now waiting till I can have another A1c to see how that's going.