Mmol/l at time of being diagnosed,

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my 4th day since being diagnosed I am in ketosis and my mmol/l is 8.2.
When I first found out my mmol/l was 11.

Just wondered what your level was when you first got diagnosed and how long it too you to see any results

Dizzylish78

I got diagnosed last week and told my levels are 24. I'm seeing the diabetic nurse tomorrow. I haven't had any sweets or chocolate since diagnosis, so hoping my levels have gone down as told that 24 is really high.

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got diagnosed last week and told my levels are 24. I'm seeing the diabetic nurse tomorrow. I haven't had any sweets or chocolate since diagnosis, so hoping my levels have gone down as told that 24 is really high.
I've cut carbs to around 50-70 grams a day. I tested myself this morning and ideas 8.2mmol not sure if this is good or bad for a fasting figure though lol.
Good luck for tomorrow I would be really interested how you get on.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ultramum

Dizzylish78

I've cut carbs to around 50-70 grams a day. I tested myself this morning and ideas 8.2mmol not sure if this is good or bad for a fasting figure though lol.

I've never dieted so it's weird for me to be watching what I eat. I've kept a food diary to show the nurse, so hopefully she can let me know where I'm going wrong apart from the obvious sweets and chocolate which I'd normally eat a lot of!!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Just wondered what your level was when you first got diagnosed and how long it too you to see any results

I was off the scale, it took over a week to get me back to a respectable BGL.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Fingers crossed.....

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Now it's feeling like a bit of a competition!!
I was only 104/11.7 and I had to ask for a test as I was convinced I was diabetic. (Turns out I probably was for the previous 18mths). By my first HbA1c I was down to 41.
Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good to have you on board!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Grante,

You say your mmol/l was 11 at diagnosis. Which test was this? Was it an HbA1c or just a simple plasma glucose test?
It is important you know the difference as they are not the same thing. Diagnosis is normally made following an HbA1c.
The levels you see on your meter are not the same measurements at all. There are mmol/l and there are mmol/mol (sometimes described as a percentage)

Reactions: Ultramum

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Grante,

You say your mmol/l was 11 at diagnosis. Which test was this? Was it an HbA1c or just a simple plasma glucose test?
It is important you know the difference as they are not the same thing. Diagnosis is normally made following an HbA1c.
The levels you see on your meter are not the same measurements at all. There are mmol/l and there are mmol/mol (sometimes described as a percentage)
It was HbA1c test mmol/l

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was HbA1c test mmol/l

The HbA1c test is either mmol/mol or expressed as a DCCT percentage %.

So you must have been 11% because the mmol/mol figures are 20 and upwards. (you would probably be very dead from low blood sugars if your HbA1c was 11mmol/mol)

11% is equivalent to 96.7mmol/mol or 14.9mmol/l.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

The HbA1c test is an average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months.

Your mmol/l meter readings are snapshots of what you are at the time of the test. The 2 things are not comparable.

When you were diagnosed you may also have had a plasma fasting glucose test, and that would be in mmol/l and can be compared.

You really need to get a print out of your test results as all this will show on there, and you will know where you are starting from. At the moment I'm not sure you do. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :) All the different measurement units are very confusing for us all but it is important to know what they all are.

Reactions: Ultramum

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi and welcome! Your fasting BG at 8.2 is a little on the high side, but I wouldn't worry at all as it's early days for you and once you get diet (and meds if you take them) established you should find that the level falls. Most of us get a bit of a peak for the morning fasting BG due to the 'dawn effect' when the liver dumps glucose.
My initial HbA1c was 102 mmol/mol or 11.5%. It took me a couple of months to get my BG levels down and then after about 6 months after adopting a LCHF diet to drive them down further. My last HbA1C was 48.0/6.5% so according to my GP I'm almost in remission. I still get the morning peak but find that 2 hours after breakfast my BG has fallen to within target levels i.e <8.5.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

I was going for a world record with an off the chart 134 HbA1c (20.3 mmol). I saw reasonable progress within 3 months with a 59 HbA1c (9.3 mmol), this could have been better if I knew about LCHF, as I was still eating carbs. As your starting point is low you could be within normal levels between 3 - 6 months if you apply yourself fully and are lucky. By lucky I mean some don't achieve non-diabetic levels, but can still obtain excellent control.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
52 bs 4 months ago down to 7 don't give up

Blood sugar monitors usually stop reading at about 33 and higher than that just give a reading of HI. I'd be amazed if any monitor was capable of giving a reading at 52mmol/l.

You could have had a hba1c of 52 mmol/mol (see @Bluetit1802 's post at #11 above for an explaination). This is equivalent to an average blood sugar of 8.4. If your blood sugar is now averaging 7mmol/l, and has been for 3 months, that would give a hba1c of 42.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed (around 1.5 years ago) my fasting blood sugar was 10.3 mmol/L and my HbA1c was 6.7% (and luckily no ketones). My first few finger pricks at home were all in the teens, but my blood sugar soon came down, and in fact on one of the first couple of days after being diagnosed I almost had a hypo - woke up with a 4.1 because my Lantus was a little high.

Reactions: Prem51

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I've never dieted so it's weird for me to be watching what I eat. I've kept a food diary to show the nurse, so hopefully she can let me know where I'm going wrong apart from the obvious sweets and chocolate which I'd normally eat a lot of!!

Hi @Dizzylish78. My initial diagnosis level was similar to yours. I was in hospital at the time recovering for a biopsy following a kidney transplant a couple of months earlier. The steroids that were part of my anti-rejection treatment had caused the diabetes. That was over two years ago now and my levels are generally in the normalish area. I am not on any meds for diabetes. I got my levels down purely through cutting certain things from my diet. Given your comments about what you are eating/not eating, I just wanted to advise you to seriously look at foods other than the sweet things. The single most important thing to realise (which your nurse may or may not emphasize, but many on this site will) is that essentially carbohydrates turn to glucose in your system. Please look at Low Carb High Fat dieting. Cutting out/down things like bread, cereal, pasta and spuds will make a huge difference. Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood glucose level was 17.1 mmol/l at diagnosis, with a glycated haemoglobin(Hba1c) of 91. I ate low carbs for 80 days and my Hba1c went down to 47 and the fasting blood glucose was 6.5 mmol/l - the first blood test was not fasting as it was, I thought, just for my thyroxine test.