More Cereal, Fewer Donuts To Drop High Blood Pressure Risk

Cowboyjim

http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=219975
"We found about a 20% decreased risk of developing hypertension in those who consumed whole grain breakfast cereals at least seven times a week. Along with other healthy lifestyles, such as low sodium intake and physical activity, getting whole grain from this readily available source can cut down the risk of developing chronic hypertension."

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: More Cereal, Fewer Donuts To Drop High Blood Pressure Ri

As this was sourced from 'The Whole Grains Council ' it comes as no surprise they say this !

As ever testing Bg levels is the only way for a Diabetic to know if eating this stuff is good for them or not !

Cowboyjim

Aaah you spoil the fun Sue!
Thought this was some good news for folks like me who have to battle with DM as well as Hypertension... oh well...
It has a list of wholegrains which I thought might be useful tho most were unknown to me.
Today my nursey visit included a reference to porridge for brekkie... "it is good for and helps get the cholesterol down"... yargh! Shoot me now! 8)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

The Wholegrains Council is an offshoot of Oldways a' not for profit organisation.' This organisation was founded by K Dun GIfford a former aide of Robert Kennedy who had a passion for 'healthy eating' and in particular the health benfits of the Mediterranean diet. He had made a lot of money in business and politics and put it into a charitable trust. Earlier in his life he owned a cookie busines but over the years moved to challenging the accepted nutritional requirements of the (US)food pyramid . If you look at the Oldways site you'll find a Med pyramid and other 'cutural, diet pyramids, and a huge amount of well researched info on healthy eating.
According to Walter Willett, an eminent researcher, and the chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health 'Dun was a pioneer in bringing people together, including nutrition scientists, culinary experts, and food writers to translate what we were learning about diet and health into practice' .
In 2002 the Oldways trust held a conference about whole grains. Sorry, but wholegrains (not necessarily breakfast cereals!) do feature strongly as being protective against many forms of chronic disease. ( check out the WHO papers for details the evidence)
Following this conference just 9 organisations/individuals joined together, to develop research, knowledge about whole grains and promote their findings. Since then the council has grown in numbers and now the major companies in the industry are members because of course it makes absolute commercial sense to belong and be able to produce products they can market as having health benefits . Nevertheless, it is a 2 way process. It also enables those seeking to promote healthier foods to influence the suppliers of our foods.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Cowboyjim said:
Aaah you spoil the fun Sue!
Thought this was some good news for folks like me who have to battle with DM as well as Hypertension... oh well...
It has a list of wholegrains which I thought might be useful tho most were unknown to me.
Today my nursey visit included a reference to porridge for brekkie... "it is good for and helps get the cholesterol down"... yargh! Shoot me now! 8)

Yes Jim, that's the problem. They are good for certain things, however it is a fact that many diabetic's are unable to tolerate them with reference to Bg levels. So no matter how noble the cause, they aren't always going to be good for everybody. I love Porridge but unfortunately it sends my Bg levels too high, even though a DSN told me it is good for me, just like you. Basically, if I could cover it with Insulin I wouldn't have a problem.......however I am not on that so I do ! There are many T2's on diet only and they eat this because 'it's healthy' ........not for every ailment though. As you say.......shoot me now !!!

As for the info about the trust.....might well be legit and I am sure they are well intentioned, who knows ? Me I'm a born cynic........ :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Cowboyjim said:
http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=219975
"We found about a 20% decreased risk of developing hypertension in those who consumed whole grain breakfast cereals at least seven times a week. Along with other healthy lifestyles, such as low sodium intake and physical activity, getting whole grain from this readily available source can cut down the risk of developing chronic hypertension."

Well I eat porridge for breakfast most mornings Jim and this research comes as no surprise, its always reassuring to know that the food we eat is not only delicious but is benefiting our cardio health! :D

Nigel