More Media Attention For T2

D

Deleted Account

Reading the description I was initially pleasantly surprised about how often "type 2" was mentioned.
Alas, we finally get to Professor Jason Gill, who is "at the forefront of research into how diet and exercise can prevent diabetes."
I would love to know who diet and exercise can prevent type 1, LADA, gestational, ... diabetes.

Sorry. I'll clamber down off my high horse and perch on my soap box for a while.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just reading the blurb
it's an other show about crash diets because there "in right now" and features celebrities doing crash diets because nobody cares about ordinary people. :sorry:
:bag:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The other show on I player referenced in another thread 'The One Show ... has a real life person (albeit a vicar) reversing his type 2 with a 800 kcal diet.
These poor celebs have to lose weight rapidly to flog a DVD/book then be photographed looking blobby again before losing it all and being told off for being too skinny. .. So glad not to be famous!
But I don't think the T2 reversal diet of Prof Taylor fame will be a fad given its success in the latest 2nd stage trial and doubtless this will offer the meal replacement companies many commercial opportunities too.
And No neither this diet or my keto diet will not cure my type 1 but we are the special ones and I can't blame the media for focusing on the 90% and rising with type 2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear “Obesity Expert” Dr Zoe Williams....
Her talk at the PHC conference was the only one that really struck a bum note with me..
All “exercise can ‘cure’ everything” “6 lives saved by exercise” and all that rubbish.. Sounds like this will be the UK biggest loser trial.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
2 part series looking at vlc diet

Thanks for the warning. I'll set the Sky + thingy.

However, "potentially saving their lives - and the NHS billions of pounds" deserves a bit of an explanation. We're very aware of the cost to the NHS, the media tell us often enough, but what they don't tell us is the breakdown of that cost. I accept that there is an ongoing cost of medication but that is a small amount in comparison to the total.

Screenshot-2018-6-6 Cost of Diabetes.png

I think the major portion of the overall cost, like it or not, is type II inpatient/outpatient costs. Why is that? I know why my type II father ended up in hospital for six weeks having a toe amputated, he didn't go to the GP when he had a toe infection and my mum had to wait until he was actually delirious with the infection when she had to call an ambulance. The whole cost could have been saved if he had behaved correctly. He may not be the only one.

"this experiment proves that there is real hope of turning the clock back and reversing Type 2, using this revolutionary diet to stop this epidemic in its tracks.” - Presenter Anita Rani

Yes, there is some hope, but even Professor Collins, he of the Newcastle Diet has recommended that this approach is best tried with type II patients in the early years. Having been on three lots of 8-12 week VLCD using vegetables instead of shakes, from my experience it will sort out BG beautifully but in my case as soon as I returned to eating meat 7 days a week instead of just 2, and still keeping to LC, bang goes decent BG control. I hope this program doesn't give people too high an expectation.

Reactions: Serena51

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the warning. I'll set the Sky + thingy.

I think the major portion of the overall cost, like it or not, is type II inpatient/outpatient costs. Why is that? I know why my type II father ended up in hospital for six weeks having a toe amputated, he didn't go to the GP when he had a toe infection and my mum had to wait until he was actually delirious with the infection when she had to call an ambulance. The whole cost could have been saved if he had behaved correctly. He may not be the only one.
Not just patients that need to behave correctly
I went to gp as an undiagnosed diabetic with a blister one of my toes that wasnt healing properly and was beginning to have some redness around the edges
I asked if I could be tested for diabetes as I thought I was showing some symptoms, the GP said “No” and that hed arrange that once the blister was healed. He and the district nurses attached to the practice then proceeded to mistreat the situation and the rampant infection that rapidly set in.
He finally did a fingerprick test a week or so later at which point I was blue lighted to hospital with sugars of 28 and ended up on an insulin pump for a couple of weeks, having to have major surgery, nearly ( but thankfully not ultimately) losing my leg and spending 4 months in hospital - the medics wouldnt let me out until I was well enough to register with a new GP.
That all had massive emotional and financial costs all around - except for the GP of course - he ended up as chair of the local CCG

Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not just patients that need to behave correctly
I went to gp as an undiagnosed diabetic with a blister one of my toes that wasnt healing properly and was beginning to have some redness around the edges
I asked if I could be tested for diabetes as I thought I was showing some symptoms, the GP said “No” and that hed arrange that once the blister was healed. He and the district nurses attached to the practice then proceeded to mistreat the situation and the rampant infection that rapidly set in.
He finally did a fingerprick test a week or so later at which point I was blue lighted to hospital with sugars of 28 and ended up on an insulin pump for a couple of weeks, having to have major surgery, nearly ( but thankfully not ultimately) losing my leg and spending 4 months in hospital - the medics wouldnt let me out until I was well enough to register with a new GP.
That all had massive emotional and financial costs all around - except for the GP of course - he ended up as chair of the local CCG
Good grief!

Reactions: mountaintom

Tannith

BANNED
Thanks for posting
It's good that the news of Prof Taylor's discovery that pancreatic fat (plus of course genes) causes T2 and that it can be reversed by losing that fat , pops up in the national news and on TV from time to time. Since it only works for people who have had T2 for less than 6 to 10 years my worry is that if the general public including GPs don't know about it, people may miss their window of opportunity to reverse their T2 and get stuck with this awful disease for life with only drugs like metformin to rely on. Low carb is all very well til you get to the point where you have lost all the weight you need to , then it may not provide enough calories, without your being knowledgeable about which fats are healthy. People also do not necessarily have control of their diet when they are being fed by others eg in hospitals care homes and the like.

Reactions: Serena51 and cmor16

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reading the description I was initially pleasantly surprised about how often "type 2" was mentioned.
Alas, we finally get to Professor Jason Gill, who is "at the forefront of research into how diet and exercise can prevent diabetes."
I would love to know who diet and exercise can prevent type 1, LADA, gestational, ... diabetes.

Sorry. I'll clamber down off my high horse and perch on my soap box for a while.
Oh did you not know gestational is self inflicted too. (prediabetics not picked up til pregnancy). Diet evoked, apparently.
I'm sure they'll turn on type1s if more become insulin resistant as the price of insulin is increasing.... again. Especially if any whisper of any part is self inflicted.
Aren't type1s already accused of bad management?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's good that the news of Prof Taylor's discovery that pancreatic fat (plus of course genes) causes T2 and that it can be reversed by losing that fat , pops up in the national news and on TV from time to time. Since it only works for people who have had T2 for less than 6 to 10 years my worry is that if the general public including GPs don't know about it, people may miss their window of opportunity to reverse their T2 and get stuck with this awful disease for life with only drugs like metformin to rely on. Low carb is all very well til you get to the point where you have lost all the weight you need to , then it may not provide enough calories, without your being knowledgeable about which fats are healthy. People also do not necessarily have control of their diet when they are being fed by others eg in hospitals care homes and the like.
I've had mine 40+yrs and I'm having bariatric surgery then vlc once my weight settles.
I'm determined to get back into remission and off insulin.
Might need help with maintenance thou but at least a year off.
I went vlc on first attempt of low carb. My heart went bonkers, not sure if thyroid as I have underactive one, normally.
I will see how things turn out, meds wise but my blood pressure jumped sky high.
Whenever I have good bgs my blood pressure is higher !!!!
My body is nuts.

Tannith

BANNED
Oh dear “Obesity Expert” Dr Zoe Williams....
Her talk at the PHC conference was the only one that really struck a bum note with me..
All “exercise can ‘cure’ everything” “6 lives saved by exercise” and all that rubbish.. Sounds like this will be the UK biggest loser trial.
Is there any reason why exercise shouldn't be good for you? I don't enjoy it any more than you do but I don't doubt it saves lives.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think that pancreatic fat causes type 2, even with a genetic input. There has to be something more, as most of the obese people dont become type 2 diabetics. Unless it is being suggested that they dont put on visceral fat round their pancreas?

Exercise may be a good thing, for those who can exercise, but to call it a Cure All is just silly and untrue.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any reason why exercise shouldn't be good for you? I don't enjoy it any more than you do but I don't doubt it saves lives.
It may well be "good" for you (although we need to define what "good" means) but can it resolve illnesses and medical conditions I doubt it. It may benefit overall health but when a doctor makes claims like "exercise saved 6 lives" like Dr Williams does then I'm afraid I have to question their thought process. No one is immortal because they went for a run.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that's exactly what is being suggested. An overview is here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151201141231.htm

There is some inconsistency in what Prof Taylor said. From that article he is quoted as saying

1. "So if you ask how much weight you need to lose to make your diabetes go away, the answer is one gram! But that gram needs to be fat from the pancreas. At present the only way we have to achieve this is by calorie restriction by any means -- whether by diet or an operation."

2. "What is interesting is that regardless of your present body weight and how you lose weight, the critical factor in reversing your Type 2 diabetes is losing that 1 gram of fat from the pancreas."

So firstly the only way to achieve this is by calorie restriction, and secondly it doesn't matter how you lose weight.

Reactions: Guzzler

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Running can quite often save lives, but sometimes it depends on how much of a head start you get and how fast you can run.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is some inconsistency in what Prof Taylor said. From that article he is quoted as saying

1. "So if you ask how much weight you need to lose to make your diabetes go away, the answer is one gram! But that gram needs to be fat from the pancreas. At present the only way we have to achieve this is by calorie restriction by any means -- whether by diet or an operation."

2. "What is interesting is that regardless of your present body weight and how you lose weight, the critical factor in reversing your Type 2 diabetes is losing that 1 gram of fat from the pancreas."

So firstly the only way to achieve this is by calorie restriction, and secondly it doesn't matter how you lose weight.

If I understand your point correctly, I think that's the heart of a lot of the issues people have with the messages coming from Newcastle and Roy Taylor. I.e. people object to his simplistic view that body fat is a function of calories.

I think the two statements from Roy Taylor which you quote are consistent within his belief system, if you see what I mean.

Though I'm not sure I'm understanding you entirely - if he's contradicting himself within his own belief system then I'm missing something.